help needed setting up distributor...

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
chris1

help needed setting up distributor...

Post by chris1 »

Hi,

I urgently need help setting up a sigma distributor.....

I just finished piecing the engine back together (very long-winded), and can't get it to kick, even with aerostart....
then I thought, maybe it is the distributor... :(

I tried setting it up as per the manual, but it doesn't seem to make sense.. the manual refers to the "mating marks" on the distributor (see pic below),

and says to line up the marks, then install the distributor... if I do this, I can't seem to get the rotor to point anywhere near the no 1 lead (with the crank timing mark on the TDC, and no 4 valves "rocking" as per manual....ie no 1 at tdc compression).

I've taken a pic of the internals, in case that helps:

also, with the distributor as per the pic below, which leads should be plugged in where (I numbered them when I removed them, but figure I should double check.....

any suggestions would be really appreciated... it's doing my head in :(
or, if anyone wants to come and try get it running, that would also be awesome :)

located in adelaide...
Cheers
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: help needed setting up distributor...

Post by astronturbo77 »

ok so get the engine and remove number 1 spark plug. Get someone to hold there finger in the hole and turn the engine over untill you can feel the compression rushing out of that cylinder and that will be TDC no.1, if unsure take off valve cover and turn engine over onto tdc mark when number 4 cam lobes are on the rock and no1 cam lobes are on the back of the lobes. put the dizzy cap on and find no.1 lead on the cap, put a mark onto the dizzy housing indicating this is number one and the rotor button must point directly at this mark when istalled, it can be installed one toothe advanced or retarded so its importand to get it right. then try starting it, if it pops out the carb or exhaust you have it a tooth out. have you had this electronic distributor on this engine before? is the module switching? does it have spark at the plugs?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
chris1

Post by chris1 »

thanks, any idea what number cable goes where on the cap?

the way I set it up earlier, I got TDC compression no 1 as you described below, lined up the "mating marks" on the distributor gear and body, and installed, but it was WAY off lining up with no 1 lead. Do I need to line up marks, or do I just need to eyeball it, and line up the rotor with the no 1 lead?

It has been running before with this distributor (well, before I half rebuilt the engine), and yes, there is spark.....
Cheers
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Basically what astronturbo77 said
BUT
when you are on TDC on No:1 make sure the red and the green circles up with each other and you are able to move the dizzy a little either side of this.

It's only when the red and green circles align that the dizzy will spark.
Once they are aligned, put on the rotor button and see where it is pointing.
It will be pointing to where the No:1 leed should be connected.
The rotor button spins clockwise so the next leed will be 3, then 4, then 2.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

lining the marks up on the distributor gear and shaft is a waste of time, ignore them
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
chris1

Post by chris1 »

all good :) :)
running well now... thanks for the tips... awesome help