Fan switches off when lights are on

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
mooey1232003

Fan switches off when lights are on

Post by mooey1232003 »

Hey guys my Fan switches off when i turn the cars lights on. Anyone know how to fix this?
mooey1232003

Re: Fan switches off when lights are on

Post by mooey1232003 »

I have also noticed when i press on the brakes the dash lights would go slightly dimmer. With the park lights on the fan stays on but when the dash lights or headlights are put on it will switch off. I'm thinking its the alternator? I am going to charge the battery and then see what happens.
woops

Post by woops »

I actually fond that i had a similar problem in my GB. I would have the indicators go slower when i had the lights and windscreen wipers on and once i pressed my brake pedal the indicators would stop completely. I found the problem to be the fact that there was no earthing cable from the battery to the chassis and the only earth from the battery was directly to the engine.

My advice would be check your earth cable to the chassis and ensure it has a proper connection. Also you could check your alternator charging voltage and it should be about the 13.9-14.7 volt mark according to the workshop manual.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
mooey1232003

Post by mooey1232003 »

I checked the ground to the chassis and it is fine. I must still check the alternator. I recently took out the fan. Could it be that i didnt put a wire back?