TR loom conversion (Back to basics)

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Skidmark

TR loom conversion (Back to basics)

Post by Skidmark »

I have checked the search and read through lots of threads but i still have a basic question.
A mate and I (mostly my mate)are fitting a tr efi ste up on my sig. Long story short we had every thing but injector pulse but were not happy with the loom I had so we are starting again with a freshly parted out loom from a tr magna.
So my question is once the earths ,afm,tps, oxy sensor,etc and the ecu are all pluged in what else has to be done to the tr loom. (I am aware of the auto bypass issue)
Thanks in advance Skidmark(Dan).
Last edited by Skidmark on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
leoca

Re: TR loom conversion (Back to basics)

Post by leoca »

The main thing i can think of is to defeat the anti theft ECU if your loom had one.It is a box near the ECU (the donor car)which has "ILA ECU" written on it.I am unsure if mine was taken from a TR/S SE or just an executive.As well you will need to have this plugged into the loom at all times in your sigma or she won't start.

Of course you will need the ...or a wiring diagram for the TR Magna...not all of it!...just the parts that relate to getting it going in the car.
Now I did the conversion for my LC lancer ...so it should be easier for a sigma.
I am looking at the notes i made and its not something that is easy to write down.

You know those fuses you get from Autobarn in a black housing with a yellow lenght of cable either side?.I personally soldered one end of few onto the correct cables as they come out of the ignition switch.There are a few ways to do it.

It is easy when you know how!
I only needed 2 fuses and the other 2 connections were just joins.
To be specific:
1.Power your ECU
2.Power your Control relay
3.Connect the ST cranking to a control relay coil (circuit)
4.Connect the IGN to the coil (circuit)
For example:
1.fuse 1 was a 10A for the ECU power this is the A3,i.e. you solder one end to the +ve (straight from the battery)...which was BLACK in the LC, may be different in a sigma....The other end I put in a connector with the CORRECT wire (which was a red/yellow wire) and I think it was to be found on the 10 pin plug somewhere...this would have been the plug that was disconnected from the ignition in the TR ...The ECU is powered by the red/yellow wire so thats what you effectively do.

There is a bit of wire testing involved of course.
Anyway it'll take a while so i wont have time to put it all here but I am keen to when i get more time mate .Cheers

Hope this helps everyone doing this...thats most of the work for you there... :)
mcfingers

Post by mcfingers »

hi leoca,
im dans mate that is doing the conversion for him and i just have a question to ask you,
could you please highlight on the ecu pinout which one is the "ST cranking" and which one is the "IGN",
if im thinking right.........which hardly ever happens!!.......then i think you mean a-8 (start sig), a-10 (IG sw). is that right? also there is also one that says, DIS power, is that distributor power coming in to the ecu or going out?
it might be easier for you just to tell me the pins you mean on the pinout list.....
cheers for the help too champion!!
leoca

Post by leoca »

Ok macfingers, but its an answer that you probably aren't expecting,because I can't really answer your questions.

i am unsure of the diagram you've put up right now, and i will have to cross reference it with mine...I had 2 and they were sort of not exactly the same!....i.e.gregorys book one did not line up with the one from a EFI diagnostics sheet i was given.

as well i think you are doing a short cut wheras and i did it the long way...i.e. i have kept the WHOLE LOOM and its tucked up under my dash!.
when you do it THAT way, it all goes like in the magna.

Can i ask if you have all the components off the magna there i.e.magna coil, magna transistor, magna control relay.etc??

>IGN i ran to B14 on the ECU, it is a green/yellow... which is different to the B14 pici you've supplied!...see what i mean?
If you go chopping wires you will get a bit lost.
Hope this has helped a little maybe If I find my wiring diagram sheet i will post it?

Its really quite easy....you only play around with 4 wires of the Tr loom when you do it my way!
what takes all the time is doing the mechanics of it all :)
mcfingers

Post by mcfingers »

hey mate, i have the whole magna loom, right up to the auto selector switch that is under the gear knob, i havent cut anything at the moment, and dont really want to if i can avoid it!.
there was another computer under the aircon control panel/stereo console that i just unplugged, i hope that wasnt the anti theft thing you were talking about!. anyway i hope this helps, oh and i have got the dizzy, control relay, ecu, coil, transistor, everything from the magna.

cheers man

fingers
leoca

Post by leoca »

OK good !.
Sounds like that may have been the anti theft box maybe ...Was it the size of a cigarette pack?.you may need to go back and check as mine would not run with out it ...in fact I had to pay an auto electrician to confirm and solve the no start problem ($200!!!!).Anyone else had this problem?

Yeah I had to cut some wires where it went into the fuse box under the magnas bonnet, but everthing else came out whole .
also,I bought a new TPS and oxygen sensor and the idle speed thing is not fitted at all.
My magna was a auto

Cheers and I will put a photo or diagram 2 up
Sigmaman

Post by Sigmaman »

I think the computer box behind the stereo in the console is for the auto 'box? I think......
To say that social direction is not a product of belief is to say that
there is no intelligence. But that itself is not intelligent. You
cannot intelligently claim that there is no intelligence.
mcfingers

Post by mcfingers »

thanks man a photo and/or diagram would be heaven
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Got her running now, thanks heaps Leoca for your help, much appriciated buddy. :thumpsup:
Skidmark
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
leoca

Post by leoca »

Good news , pleased to help!