Audio system upgrade, GH Sigma SE

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Cipher124

Audio system upgrade, GH Sigma SE

Post by Cipher124 »

Hey guys and gals,

I'm after some help/advice with upgrading the speakers and head unit in my GH Sigma SE.

So far I've mounted my head unit but have not wired it up. I've done these on other cars before, so I shouldn't run into too many troubles there. (Hopefully :roll: )
Replacing the factory fitted 4" front door speakers (for the 'optional' tape deck) should be easy, using 6" speakers with spacers, therefore I don't need to cut a larger hole and there is still clearance behind the speaker for the window to wind down fully.

Rear speakers though, are my hassle. I noticed today that the 'parcel shelf' has cutouts to install speakers, they just need to be removed. And these cutouts line up with the larger holes in the rear firewall. This is good, as the boot will act as a resonator.
It seems that the biggest speaker size I could use in the rear would be around 6" with spacers, but has anyone on here used anything larger?
I have a pair of 6"x9" speakers from my old car that I would like to use, but there's not a lot of room back there, especially because its the SE model with the adjustable rear seats.

Also I will have to run my wires to the rear.

Does anyone have any photos of their setup I could see?

Thanks guys, I'll put up some pics when I'm done :thumpsup:

Marshall
1980 GH Chrysler Sigma SE - Project - Now with 4G54 wideblock and 5spd BW. Getting it back on the road!
2008 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDI Pacific - The daily

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864268/1
rob020

Re: Audio system upgrade, GH Sigma SE

Post by rob020 »

hey,

ive got a gh se with adjustable rear seats... its got 6x9s in the back but the hole has been opened up a bit like a tin can (previous owners) but they fit in fine... can take a pic if you like??
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Be careful cutting the rear parcel shelf. It is a structural part of the car. It is illegal in NSW to cut it to fit larger speakers.

I had 6x9's in the rear parcel shelf of my GE Sigma (back in 98). I'm a bit rusty on how I fitted them. I remember it being very tight though. My GE had the same rear parcel try as a SE but it has an extra brace fitted at the front as the rear seat doesn't recline.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

Yeah I was a bit iffy about opening up those holes, pretty sure its the same in Vic.
But if I can cut it to make it look standard, hmmm... lol

rob020, it would be awesome if you could take a pic for me, cheers!

Marshall
1980 GH Chrysler Sigma SE - Project - Now with 4G54 wideblock and 5spd BW. Getting it back on the road!

81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Do not cut the parcel shelf.
As Dave has already said, its a structural part of the car, if your car gets looked over by the authorities it can be considered un-roadworthy for this.

If your wanting 6x9's aerpro has plenty of options for you...
such as
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 3DWatching

Have fun with it though :)
& just for something to look at... heres some pictures from my GH :thumpsup:

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Cipher124

Post by Cipher124 »

Nice setup there Nick, that was pretty much what I was after.

I thought of using those angled spacers like on ebay (I've used them in my Civic) but I found there wasn't much room. Also given the flappy bit between the adjustable seat and the firewall itself, there's physically not enough room to fit 6x9"s in the SE :-(

May have to go with the angled box option, looks pretty good.

The parcel shelf I was talking about cutting was not the metal firewall, but the thin wooden one covered in vinyl fastened on top of that. Upon removing it I noticed a partially cut out circle on each side underneath, as if speakers were meant to go there on some sort of factory option or something.
What I am thinking is I can either mount 6" to this shelf with the hole fully cut out, or use the angled boxes. BUT cut out the bottom of the boxes to line up with the firewall holes to utilise the boot area for bass resonance.

All this and trying to keep a modest look too lol.
Thanks for the advice guys, and what do you think?

Cheers
Marshall