Taillight/dashlight gremlins

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Skidmark

Taillight/dashlight gremlins

Post by Skidmark »

I have an intermittent electrical problem. My problem is that the tailights and dash lights on my GN will stop working together intermittently.They always turn off together so when the dash lights go out I know the tailights are out (the cars flashing madly behind me is also a good indicator of that). They turn off and then will turn back on again, normaly a few minutes after.
So my question is basicly where do I sart looking ? Is there somewhere where the tailights wires meet the dashlight wires ?
Thanks
Skidmark
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
75wagon
Admin

Re: Taillight/dashlight gremlins

Post by 75wagon »

Skidmark wrote:So my question is basicly where do I sart looking ?
Your fuse box.
Tail lights and dash board lights are on the same fuse. So you may have a bad contact or faulty fuse.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
SharmCos

Post by SharmCos »

Check the fuses in the fusebox - connection etc. The problem usually lies there.
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

Definately fuse fox is the place to start. As has been mentioned they are on the same circuit. I would take the fuse out and clean up the contacts, while your are there place some petroleum jelly on the contacts. I would also put a new fuse in it at this time. If you are needing to do this to the parker/dashlight circuit then the other will not be far behind. I would grab some emmery paper and clean all contacts in the fuse box then replace all fuses after placing petromleum jelly on the contacts. Dont not be tempted to "upgrade" your fuses. These are glass metal ends type of fuse and so the end over time get dry joints and then with the contact create very resistive contact, this means they will get warm, and can desolder. By going through your fuse box this will give you many hours of fun with you car and hopefully years.

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Awsome replys thanks fellas, oldn64 I shall follow your instructions to letter sometime over the next few days, thanks heaps
Skidmark
85 GN ,daily driver
86 GN ,resto project .
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

If it turns out that the fusebox itself has bad contacts, dont try to fix them :$ Ive "fixed" my GAs fuse box so many times its not a joke any more. Just get another one from the wreckers or build another decent one. Hot Rod sites will get you started :thumpsup:
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

tandanus wrote:If it turns out that the fusebox itself has bad contacts, dont try to fix them :$ Ive "fixed" my GAs fuse box so many times its not a joke any more. Just get another one from the wreckers or build another decent one. Hot Rod sites will get you started :thumpsup:
T.
Depends on what is wrong, if just contacts then a clean with emmery paper and vaseline will fix it for good. (dont need to drown it just smear it to stop the oxygen getting at the contacts. If the box has melted then replacement will be neccessary

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D