HH galant/sonata MAF

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Tj.

HH galant/sonata MAF

Post by Tj. »

Hey guys.
I'm looking at airbox options for my galant that i'm preparing for a 4G63 DOHC conversion.

In order to keep cost down, I'm making do with the stock hyundai sonata ECU (G4CP is a 4G63 if you didn't know). What I'm researching now is what airbox options I have. More importantly is what air flow meter options do I have.
You may have also noticed that by my mixing of terms "MAF" and "air flow meter" I know jack about auto electronics and the finer details of wiring up an EFI system. That's why I'm taking the whole shooting match to a sparky to sort out for me.

The MAF (I'll just call it that from here on in coz i'm too lazy to write the longer name :P ) out of the sonata is a big sunnovabitch and really doesn't look all that free flowing. On top of that is the fact that the original airbox out of korea's finest is also a big cylindrical sunnovabitch that has a big crappy looking cylindrical element in it.
I was looking at an airbox out of another car that is A) smaller and easier to place in the engine bay and B) easy to get a high flowing filter for. For the sake of appeasing the po-po I'm not just going to shove a cone filter on the end of the tube. (for now)
The problem I ran into is that the sonata MAF just wont fit in much else. I quite liked the shape and the design of a commodore airbox but there's no way on earth I could fit that meter in there.

So, how hard is it to get another MAF to talk to the stock sonata ECU? is it possible at all? I know an after market ECU will solve all my problems but I can't quite justify that cost just yet (primarily the dyno work needed to tune it) so, keeping in mind I'm leaving the wiring to a sparky who, hopefully knows what he was doing, what can I use.

***MOVED TO ENGINE THREAD***
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.p ... 896#p34896

Mods please lock
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
GC75
Admin

Re: HH galant/sonata MAF

Post by GC75 »

locked as per request
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines