carby fuel pump?

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
colta51

carby fuel pump?

Post by colta51 »

hey i was just wondering wats the safest way to wire up my fuel pump i hav just put in my galant?
i no it needs to turn off with the motor but how duz it turn on at iginion b4 i start it? im confused :$
do i need sum sort of oil pressure switch to do this proply? hope sumone knows wat i meen!
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
shuggy

Re: carby fuel pump?

Post by shuggy »

the propper way to do it is to hook up the earth wire to the body of the car and hook the positive up to the oil pressure switch so that the fuel pump only runs when the oil pressure is up. You may need to get a different oil switch for this. This makes it so if u have a crash the pump switches off.
Personally i just hooked my positive wire up to the coil so that its on when the ignition is on.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Go to a place that install's LPG system's, or U-Pull-It and find a car that had gas. There is a little black box in the engine bay usuall mounted near the coil with about 4 wire's coming off of it. This will prime the pump whan you turn the key on for approx 5sec and then shut the pump off untill it get's a signal from the coil that it is sparking.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

colta51

Post by colta51 »

This will prime the pump whan you turn the key on for approx 5sec and then shut the pump off untill it get's a signal from the coil that it is sparking.
this sounds like wat im after! cheers mike.. :thumpsup:
My car: Colt/Galant AI standed. going AII GS speks!
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Post by oldn64 »

GB_BB4C's suggestion is the way to go. Definately do not take the power directly from the coil you will find that this will do some nasty stuff to other systems in the car. Some symptoms, tacho not functioning, backfires, reduced spark, non existant spark, dead fuel pump. If you dont want the added safety (good to have) then start off the coil to run a relay would be the best way to go. This way it will start when the ignition is on and run for the time the car is on without effecting anything else. Remember most systems in our cars are points driven so run 7v not 12v at the coil....

Cheers
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D