Prob in Lancer

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
leoca

Prob in Lancer

Post by leoca »

My Lancer wont give spark when the key turns to START at the moment.
We had to hotwire it from 12v POS to IGN
Can anyone suggest why not?.What may be the Prob

Cheers
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Re: Prob in Lancer

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

sent u a pm bout this and ill send u my wiring diagram to get around this later tonight.
I might post it up here and if it could be locked anyone else has the same prob they can refer to it.

Just finishing uni assignments at the moment but ill try get it up tonight for you.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

here you go mate this is what I did.
Just note im not 100% sure what the wire going to the CPU is, my mate figured out that wire would work so i hooked it up and it worked :D but the diagram should help you and everyone else for converting carby only cars to EFI :D.

or if the image doesnt work for you

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z17/ ... oefica.jpg

Cheers Matt
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

ok pain in my bum its exceptionally small

ill write something up again

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
leoca

Post by leoca »

Thanks Matt,
Once i finish it all off I'll add to your post too for others that are doing the conversion.
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

ok this will require some epic formatting skills so hopefully this holds up.
In a nut shell how this relay works.
Relay 1 gets power from a wire that has 12v when the key is in 1st or 2nd click (ignition/reds what ever u want to call it).
Relay 2 gets power from starter motor when key is turned to 'Start'.
When its on ignition the power from the key pulls the first relay and then runs through the 87/30 pins on second relay, but when is on 'start' only the second relay pulls and power goes from the starter to the 87/30 pins to keep the CPU power on and injectors firing.

No you cant run it without the first relay (i tried this) because as soon as soon as you turn the key to ignition the starter gets excited because they have a common pin on the relay adn the car kicks over.....constantally until you pull the key out.

So here it is :D

Wire from ignition/reds starter motor solenoid

86 86
87 relay 1 30 87 relay 2 30
85 85

coil ECU
Ok so
Relay 1:
86 - wire from ignition/reds
85 - earth
87 - to 87 from relay 2
30 - to 30 from relay 2

Relay 2:
86 - starter motor solenoid
85 - earth
87 - coil
30 - ECU

Note relay 2 has two wires from pins # 87 and #30, i used piggy back connectors to achieve this.
I'm not convinced mysetup if off a TR/TS magna anymore (thinking Verada because computer and fuel relay thingy are different to TR/TS).

My wire that goes from relay 2 to ECU is a wire that comes off the metal thing attached to the coil. This thing has a black and a white wire which go into a clip and from the clip there are 4 wires. My mate figured out which wire we needed and i just figured out the relay setup....so sorry cant really help with that wire, but which ever wire u were already using would work.

hopes this helps more people convert Carby cars to EFI :D

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

TR-TS wiring diagram

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

From that diagram it looks like mine runs off the white from the noise filter.

Thanks for the diagram Scott.
Did you get all the parts the other day with minimal hassles? Sorry I couldnt come help

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Rally_2.6LC wrote:Thanks for the diagram Scott.
Found an old Gregory's I had been given several years ago. Thought it might help.
Rally_2.6LC wrote:Did you get all the parts the other day with minimal hassles? Sorry I couldnt come help
No problems Matt. Got a bit of help loading them but the unloading by my self was a bit "interesting".

Cheers.
leoca

Post by leoca »

Matt,
Did you try joining the red/blk wires to the IGN (black/white) at all?.
Its just that i see that the lancer coil +ve is fed by the red/black ,and in the TR loom,the same wire to the coil POS also does the common feed for the fuel pump through the TR control relay.

Rally_2.6LC

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

No i didnt try that mate, little confused by what ur saying but (no offence) but this setup is working for me so im just going to stick with it lol.
After re-wiring most of my car just having it run and knowing i got it right is a bonus hahahaha

Cheers Matt
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
leoca

Post by leoca »

righto then .
I was just saying that in the lancer diagram above the IGN is electrically joined to the R (red/blk).

Anyhow I may try this unless its unwise!!.
I hav e the relay set up and one thing is I have the ECU power straight off the battery POS so its always on...as in the TR/S...so I won't have to run a cable to pin 30 of relay 2.

Cheers ,will get back and post when I do .J
leoca

Post by leoca »

Rally_2.6LC wrote:here you go mate this is what I did.
Just note im not 100% sure what the wire going to the CPU is, my mate figured out that wire would work so i hooked it up and it worked :D but the diagram should help you and everyone else for converting carby only cars to EFI :D.

Cheers Matt
..maybe you could let us know what wire the "ECU" one (on relay 2)went to on the plug anyway?.I doubt it would be the main power in (A3)...maybe it is.
Perhap just bell it out for us .Cheers
leoca

Post by leoca »

Just an update .
Matt I went over your post located in The "electrical tutorials" , and its obvious we have done our wiring differently.
I don't know if the thread is locked or anything and your way is a little confusing to me right now.e.g I cannot find the brown wires you described...(although I have a brief recollection!)
My method was based upon , not only the EFI wiring diagram for automatic transaxel models(pg 113 in the Gregorys),i.e. Superscans contribution above but also 2 sheets a EFI diagnosis business gave me on the TR
and TS .(Auto-tech).
So , for example as a result I have kept the ENTIRE loom, so that I take my red/yellow and blk/white directly
(1 cm ) from the plug that plugs into the TS ignition barrel.If the loom had a earth lug poking out I earthed
it.

Once I get it all sorted I will put it up .I think its a bit simpler, but I still have this problem though at the
moment!
Cheers John
leoca

Post by leoca »

Looks like we fixed the problem now.
I tried the relay set up mate ...no good.
Part of the problem was the ETACCS

Car starts off key.Yahoo :D.Now the rest

ps the basic starting/ ignition/ sensor Auto-Tech diagram was right for the wiring setup I had...the Gregorys was wrong in my case but we needed for the ETACCS information page.