Step by step after market ECU

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
evilsigturbo

Step by step after market ECU

Post by evilsigturbo »

Hey there everyone, im just wondering if anyone knows of a step by step tutorial on wiring in an after market ECU into the TR magna injection setup?

Ive searched on the forums but the search engine on here isnt too flash and seems to show a lot of rubbish, any help would be great, ps i really want to do this my self as i enjoy overcoming the challenge so no replys saying take it here and get it done etc

Thanks
gaz914

Re: Step by step after market ECU

Post by gaz914 »

A lot will depend on what ECU you use.
MAP or original airflow sensor?
Original idle control, or something else?

Things like the injector wires are easy, just check the colours on the injector plugs and find them at the ECU plug.

Some aftermarket ECUs may not be able to use the TR idle control or airflow signal.

Need to do a bit more homework on ECUs first.

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
evilsigturbo

Post by evilsigturbo »

Yeah i done my home work and decided on the EMS 4424 stinger ECU which will do away with the air flow meter.

Ive never done this b4 so im driving blind here just after some rough guidance.

Thanks
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I would first look at the install instructions for the ECU you have chosen. it should be available from their website. Do you have the TR EFI setup already on your car? If you do, then you could mod the loom you already have to suit the new ECU, or you could start from scratch and build a new loom. If you don't, you could just mod a stock TR loom to fit the new ECU, or build a new one. If you go with the modding of the TR loom, you'd just need the wiring diagram for the TR loom and the new ECU, and wire them together. Since you are getting rid of the air flow meter, you could just reuse those wires for the MAP sensor.
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

I've got an EMS in my LC Lancer with an TP EFI setup, the wiring was done with the stock magna loom, airflow meter thrown in the bin and it all works well. I didn't wire it up myself, wasn't worth the hassle when I had to pay someone to tune it anyway. (don't have a dyno in my shed...)
evilsigturbo

Post by evilsigturbo »

yeah i allready have the TR computer and wiring loom in there i have the wiring diagrams for both the TR setup and the EMS so it should be quite straight forward fingers crossed :P

Hoonboy you wouldnt be able to give me a copy of your EMS astron map would you? id be happy to organize some sort of deal with you for it, it would be just good to have something i know my car is going to start and run with.

Also what setup are you running that gear on? is it a 2.6? multicoil ignition etc?

Thanks

Peter
HoonBoy

Post by HoonBoy »

Sorry, too much at risk if my map isn't suitable for your engine. I don't want anyone complaining that "my" map blew up their engine. EMS might be able to give you a starter map, have you asked them?
evilsigturbo

Post by evilsigturbo »

Nar man im not stupid im not expecting to throw in your map and be able to go racing around like a mad man :P ! its just going to be so the car can be run to drive it on to a trailer so i can take it to the dyno to do some proper Tuning
But hey if you dont feel comfortable handing it to me its cool
evilsigturbo

Post by evilsigturbo »

Ok i downloaded the latest EMS software and it does have a very basic map for the mitsi 2.6 :) so im happy with that thanks anyway