Wasted Spark setup for non-EFI Astron.

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Superscan811

Wasted Spark setup for non-EFI Astron.

Post by Superscan811 »

I've been looking at making a Wasted Spark setup for the non-EFI Astron engines.
It'll just require a few parts and minimal fabrication (I hope).

The major parts are:
1. A standard NON-EFI dizzy.
2. A Magna EFI dizzy.
3. A Hall effect sensors (plus the one from the magna EFI dizzy).
4. A 3-pin voltage regulator.
5. Two MOSFet's.
6. A set of '89 GSR Galant coils or equivelent.

Planning to use a late model non-efi Magna dizzy, it should be in better condition than my current dizzy.
The ignition module can be removed from the non-efi dizzy and the aluminium "heatsink" which it is attached to, can be cut off.
There won't be a problem fitting it.

The 2 MOSFet's will act as the ignition modules (between the Hall Effect Sensors and the coils).

Basically you mount the Hall effect sensors 90-Degrees apart on the non-efi dizzy and use the EFI metal vane to trigger them.
One of the hall effect sensors will be fixed, the other will be able to move, so you can align them correctly.

The alignment will be easy if you have something to turn the dizzy VERY slowly.
The EFI metal vane will have to have 2 of the 4 vanes removed BUT don't do that until the alignment is done.

The only other thing I that's needed is a cover for where the dizzy cap used to be.

I'll probably attempt this in the next couple of weeks, but I would also like to get some feedback on this idea.

Cheers.
rob020

Re: Wasted Spark setup for non-EFI Astron.

Post by rob020 »

hmmm... interesting idea... why do you want wasted spark?

ive got a complete edis-4 distributerless wasted spark ignition system... you need an ignition computer though... or a fuel + ignition ecu if you want efi... otherwise it wont advance/retard the timing

$100 posted

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out