LC hatch tacho wire

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
rob020

LC hatch tacho wire

Post by rob020 »

hey,

can anyone tell me what colour the wire is for my stock tacho wire in my lc hatch? or at least help me identify it.... theres three wires goin to the coil that used to be there, not including the capacitor...

for an efi conversion, is it ok to strip the other two wires? ive identified the wire that goes to the old dizzy? it doesnt go anywhere else does it? and if one of the other two is for the tacho... where does the last wire go? 12+ ignition on? if it is, should i use it for the ecu 12+ ignition on?

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
gaz914

Re: LC hatch tacho wire

Post by gaz914 »

One wire is 12 volts with the ignition ON, this drops to 0 volts whilst in the 'start' position. This originally went to the ballast resistor.

The second wire is 12 volts when in the 'start' position. This wire went to the coil +ve (bypassing the ballast resistor).

The third wire is the tacho wire.

There would also have been one wire that went to the distributor but obviously this is not in the wiring loom.

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
rob020

Post by rob020 »

hmm... the black/white dizzy wire is still in the loom and i have two other wires left... ill have to put a battery in it and bust the multimeter out..

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I don't know if it helps but in the GC/ GD Galants the tacho wire from the coil is green...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
rob020

Post by rob020 »

is the tacho wire connected to any other wire on the coil? or does it go straight to the tacho with the only connection being at the coil? im reading 60 ohms of resistance between what i think is the tacho wire and the black/white dizzy wire....

cheers,
rob

edit:
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

rob020 wrote:is the tacho wire connected to any other wire on the coil? or does it go straight to the tacho with the only connection being at the coil? im reading 60 ohms of resistance between what i think is the tacho wire and the black/white dizzy wire....

cheers,
rob

edit:
Do yourself a favour and DON'T use the multimeter :D

I have been an auto elec for 28 years and I don't use a multimeter for what you are trying to do - for the very reason you will pick up all sorts of earth loops, power loops, etc.

In the real world, these don't matter.

Use a test light (or just a small bulb with 2 wires on it) and you will be OK.

I had to do the exact same thing on Hoonboy's LC recently and it took me 5 minutes using my method above - just can't remeber the wire colours!!
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
rob020

Post by rob020 »

ok, ive stripped the tape off the dizzy wires and the black/white wire that goes from the coil to the dizzy t's off into the rest of the loom... any idea where it goes from there?? can i just snip it and tape off the end? same with the other wire (the one that isnt the tacho wire) can i follow it somewhere and remove it completely like ive done with the rest of the wires?

id rather not just cut them and leave them hanging

cheers,
rob
aussiblue

Post by aussiblue »

The factory manual shows the original (for OZ LC) as a white 0.5 at the tacho end and 0.5 white with a black trace at the coil end.
Regards Blue
rob020

Post by rob020 »

:D thanks heaps... i had my suspicions it was that wire
leoca

Post by leoca »

Yep,I only just saw this question .
It is white.
I've just reconnected mine too. :D
With a TS loom, you can simply connect this wire to one of the black and white striped wires (there are 2)on the loom side (1cm from the plug) for the power transistor(you know that thing that is attached to the TR coil?).
Now I have revs showing.

ps
leoca

Post by leoca »

sorry but I meant the noise filter( not the transistor), you connect it onto one of the black and white ones on the other side of the little plug it has.
Cheers