Inexpencive EFI options

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
pikie

Inexpencive EFI options

Post by pikie »

Hi all I am a new member, I have a Ford courier with a MITSU 4G54. After putting a new carb and extractors and getting the car to run well, I have started to take it off road turns out carby’s are really not designed to go up to steep inclines (cuts out, runs rich, so on…..).

I am planning to change to basic EFI - from all the post i have read this forum seems to have the most members with experience with 4g54 efi conversions.

I looked at the stock efi and the amount of wiring looks like a night mare combined with AFM which always stuff up so im not planning to go down that path.

My Plan was to buy and fit Microtech fuel only second hand. Reason Cheap, its simple to wire, easy to use & again its cheap.
My plan was to tune off map with water temp adjustment.
The problem: I can’t find a map for Microtech & the 4g54. The Microtech guys want $395.00 to remap the base system TOO MUCH!!! When the ecu might cost $100.

MegaSquirt seems like it might be an option.
I am hoping some members might have some advice with below -
What Mega Squirt would be best - I only need fuel control?
Costs?
Do these come with a easy to buy plug and loose loom
Wiring diagrams for fuel only
4g54 base map???.

I have the High pressure fuel covered and i think TF complete intake manifold.

I have had modified cars in the past and medium install / tuning EFI experience.

Im open to any other efi ideas or brands as long as they are under $500.

My ford is not a project car just a cheap 4x4 ute that if I can convert to efi easily it will not cut out on hills and get better fuel economy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Pikie
Billsy

Re: Inexpencive EFI options

Post by Billsy »

the info is a little scattered, but all the MS info you would want is at www.msefi.com or one of the sister forums at the top of that page.

about $300 should get you a basic MS ecu and a flying loom which you need to wire in to the
battery
earth
ign
distributor
injectors and fuel pump relay

thats about it for fuel only.
Insert witty one liner here -->
leoca

Post by leoca »

I have just wired a 4G54 EFI into my 1979 LC Chrysler with electrics and associated parts from a 1996 TS Magna .
Its running fine.

It is easy once you have an abbreviated drawing .
Apart from the obvious sensor/injector etc wiring I think I used 4 other wires in the entire loom.
What can be cheaper and easier?.You see whole cars going for under $500
Its all the mechanical things you need to do to get to to that stage thats the hard /time consuming part ...

Or don't you like getting your hands dirty! :D
pikie

Post by pikie »

thanks for the info!!!
leoca

Post by leoca »

You're welcome!
p.s do you own :D a dictionary
pikie

Post by pikie »

p.s do you own :D a dictionary
Nope if I did my issue would still be noticing the mistakes sorry.