mounting a battery box

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

mounting a battery box

Post by astronturbo77 »

how do you mount a battery box in the boot of a car 'propperly'?

the fabric/nylon strap that the kit came with was pretty pathetic so i may replace it with a ratchet strap. but my main drama is actually bolting the box to the boot floor. the plastic is very flimsey and i suspect even if i used 8mm diameter bolts with nyloc nuts and large panel washers if the car was to go upside down i reckon they would ripp through the plastic????

got any pics of how other users have done thiers?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
77galantv6

Re: mounting a battery box

Post by 77galantv6 »

i've got mine mounted in the boot and have never had any issues with it even looking like breaking...
i just used a larger washer so if it did even have a large stress the pressure would be over a larger area.

the nylon strap works fine in my car...

PS.
if you are trying to save weight (being a track / drift car)
mount the battery on the passengers side to offset the weight of you - balance out the car a little bit...
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

brendon

Post by brendon »

Put a metal tray inside battery box and bolt through it and the box.
which will spread the weight over the whole plate.

and allow you to clamp the battery down inside the box as well
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

like the others have said i have bolted mine down too and use valcro strips to give a bit more grip on the carpet since its the carpet is held down aswell just gives it another thing to grab onto

TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

leoca

Post by leoca »

i have recently done this for the Lancer .As Tufsig did,metal battery tray mounted inside the cheapish Haigh battery box(there only seems to be one type for sale!,some are wrapped with info/some not.)You can get "marine" ones too.
The electrical wires I bought as a kit from Autobarn and it is really for high powered car audio amps...you can see the 100 amp fuselink on the side of the box.I'm sorry I cannot recall the size lug I used for this cable.
I was told by a tuner to run the Negative to the bolt that mounts the starter to your gearbox as well as to a point under the battery.
Cheers
panda

Post by panda »

The battery box in my Sigma rallycar was mounted behind the drivers seat, down low & central for better centre of gravity. I made up a frame out of aluminium angle which was bolted to the floor. Then I sat the plastic battery box in the frame. The battery had a conventional clamp over it with 2 long threaded rods going from the clamp, down either side of the battery inside the box, then secured into the aluminium frame underneath. This secured both the battery & the box to the frame bolted to the floor. The lid was held on with a simple lightweight strap.

panda
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
rob020

Post by rob020 »

in my scorpion the battery box wasnt even bolted to the floor... two holes and the battery was mounted THROUGH the box with a std battery bracket.... the box isnt moving anywhere with a battery holding it down...

cheers,
rob

p.s. sorry if this is what everyone else said, i only skimmed the topic
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

rob020 wrote:in my scorpion the battery box wasnt even bolted to the floor... two holes and the battery was mounted THROUGH the box with a std battery bracket.... the box isnt moving anywhere with a battery holding it down...
My rally car is pretty much the same.

The nylon strap is only to hold the lid on the box ... using a ratchet strap would gain nothing (it carries no load).

If I was doing it from scratch I would probably put a metal tray inside the box though - bolt tray through box to boot floor, then secure battery to tray.