what ECU for astron turbo?

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

what ECU for astron turbo?

Post by astronturbo77 »

hey everyone, im going efi because im sick of carby turbos and backfires and breaking everything as soon as it startes to 'go hard'. anyhow i know this subject has been gone over countless times on the old site but im going to try and get my brain around picking the appropriate ecu for my turbo 2.6 astron, so here goes..... ;)
i have been searching the net mostly looking at haltech and wolf3ds, im wondering what people have used on their vehicles and what they can reconmmend is the easiest to tune?
I have come across a very early haltech e6? ECU that is second hand.... i would like a ecu that comtrols fuel and spark and preflably has a built in map sensor. Oh and im going to be running a tn/tp magna manifolds with xf throttle body unless people reccomend not to do this.. One last question is where and who mods the magna plenums to fit the throttle body on the other end? i remeber someone doing this but cant remember who.
cheers guys
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
HoonBoy

Re: what ECU for astron turbo?

Post by HoonBoy »

Get whatever your tuner recomends/is familiar with. If you plan on tuning it yourself, get a megasquirt, wide band and a few spare engines.
panda

Post by panda »

I use a Haltech E6H on my GJ Rally Car N/A 2.6 MPI. Uses Magna M6 head with TR/TS inlet manifold with 60mm T/B shifted to other end of plenum chamber. Works like a treat. PM me if you want pics.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

hey would love to see some pics, would you mind posting them up here? ;) Im currently leaning towards a haltech e6x ecu, hopefully K rudds money will go in soon!
anyhow i know alot of members on the old site had fuel injected astrons and would like some advice :? if possible on whats the best way to go. Im planning on using a big fuel pump, larger injectors but not sure what size, bigger throttle body and bigger turbocharger. this next question may be a silly one but i spose i wont know till i ask.... is it possible to have individual throttle bodies on a turbo setup, would this be a advantage or disadvantage?
i am planning on tuning the car myself along with a little help so i need a ecu that will be relativly easy to tune.

thanks guys :D
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

if your fairly knowledgeable electronically and can make a loom, megasquirt ecus arent overly hard to understand, and on an astron are very easy to setup. i ran one on mine and got it running mint, and making over 200kw at the rears. ill give you my old tune as a base if you decide to go this route.

built in map sensor many many features othersw dont and can pretty much tune themselves if you have a wideband. goto www.msefi.com for a look.

otherwise go with whatever you find at the right price with the right features, and discuss with your tuner if your not doing it yourself.
Insert witty one liner here -->
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

wideband????? what does this mean? i went to the megasquirt website and got extremly confused.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

wideband is a meter used to measure the exact fuel ratios in the engine, if you cant make sense of the site (yes its quite confusing to me aswell to find info there) then the unit may be over your level of understanding.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Another traitor going EFI :roll:

If Mitsubishi ment the Sigma Turbo to be EFI, they would have built it that way in the first place. :roll:

Look like another inlet manifold destined for ebay :roll:
COBWBS

Post by COBWBS »

heltech e6X
Formerly known as QIKSIG
2.6 Turbo 72 GA Galant on straight LPG
77 Lancer
sigmare

Post by sigmare »

Im running straight gas which doesnt need an ecu. Just a thought.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Sigmaproject wrote:Another traitor going EFI :roll:

If Mitsubishi ment the Sigma Turbo to be EFI, they would have built it that way in the first place. :roll:

Injection systems in 1980 sucked. It was probably developed even earlier than that anyways! Late 70's ELECTRONIC injection would have been unbelievably expensive! And to spend the research an development on turning out only 500 cars would be crazy. Woulda been awesome though.

I think the problem with that is the car would have made too much power. They already knew that the 2.6 would have been too much for the rest of the driveline and brakes. Why else would they have only made a 2ltr.
Lowmion

Post by Lowmion »

Sigmaproject wrote:Another traitor going EFI :roll:

They did, just not released in Australia :)
Don't try to insure a 1984 Galant Turbo 2000 with RACV, they'll insist that it only came out with a super charger, and that the turbo is an illegal mod........
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I am considering using a MegaSquirt II. They are pretty cheap if you know how to solder.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-59.html
COBWBS

Post by COBWBS »

Megasquirt = mega cheap = mega crap

Heltech, micotech, wolf, str8 LPG>>

only computers id eva use unless i have a skyline Evo ect Power FC or a xr6T Capa flash tunner..
Formerly known as QIKSIG
2.6 Turbo 72 GA Galant on straight LPG
77 Lancer
panda

Post by panda »

Haltech = Australian made + have an excellent help line & support. Check out http://www.haltech.com.au
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

COBWBS wrote:Megasquirt = mega cheap = mega crap
and you know this how? have you got one?

ive built, setup and tuned them. theyre a little more work to initially setup but a great ecu with an unbeatable feature list
and theyre cheap.
S1GMARE

Post by S1GMARE »

Interesting, but only on this forum would people endorse a $247 ECU.
The controller looks like the old mitsubishi diagnostic, Multi use tester (MUT1) from the 80's. :lol:
The features are impressive, but looks time consuming and unnessesary seeing ECU's aren't that expensive.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

they are the way they are because they are DIY, i have one of the new surface mounted versions going in the sig it cost about 500 delivered,
im mid way through installing one on my subaru aswell. they are time consuming, but if you buy one prebuilt there not much more than anything else.

the way i look at it is for the cost vs features, if you dont want the features then its not much different to buying a second hand MT or similar. but i want closed loop fuelling, traction and boost control and i plan on using antilag.
so at around 1/4 the cost of a motec that can do all that i have something thats more than capable of the job.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Billsy do you use a Air/Fuel ratio gauge in conjunction with your on the fly tuning?
Or does the Mega Squirt measure that for you?

Air/Fuel gauge Highly recommended for home tuning
stealth

Post by stealth »

the megasquirt has the opional feature of a 7 wire wideband a/f
the only two computers on the market ar motec and megasquirt.
hay billsy are you interested in building the units for others?
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I too would be interested in a MegaSquirt. If you get enough people together, it might be cheaper to do a bulk order.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

yes i have a wideband, the most useful thing i think ive ever bought...

the megasquirt can connect to the wideband for live metering and autotune and closed loop corrections.
very VERY useful.

i can setup more ecus if anyone is after one. im upgrading mine from MS1 to the latest MS2 3.57 version.
once done i can easily setup new ones and give people a base tune with all the hard work taken out of it.
it would have to use the same ignition and idle configuration that i do otherwise youll have to set that up yourself. but yeah i be happy to help out

itd be good for you as itd be a tried and tested ecu when you got it back. :)
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

well apart from this post being back in march 09, im now SERIOUS about buying a ecu, as i have the cash and i need one for the car to opperate. i have come away from the inital thought of using a megasquirt, im now seriously looking at haltech as a friend has his own dyno and is the tassie dealer for them.

been looking at the platnium sprint 1000 ecu from haltech, it has very impressive features but is fairly pricey, i can get one slightly cheaper for $1700 with universal wiring loom. but two things bother me about this ecu, the first being its price, the second being i may being selling the car after i have some fun and i cant justifly spending that much money on a ecu that is 'overkill' for the car.

secondly i have been looking at the platnium sprint 500 ecu, its reasonably priced retails for $1080 but can get one for 800, it seems farily basic but not sure wether its too basic for my needs. says 'use only for high impedance injectors', and i have low impedance VDO 780cc ones, was talking to my tuner and he says to use resistor packs from a sr20 or ca18? anyone heard of these and can shed some more light, will the use of these damage the ecu of injectors?

what about microtech? i need to do some research later tonight, have heard i can get a farily decnet one for around a grand but always thought they more more for rotors.

wolf 3D ? cheap and nasty?

any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D :D