Strange issues

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Sigmaproject

Strange issues

Post by Sigmaproject »

Just when you think that there are good times ahead, electrical problems surface :roll:

Just replaced a wonky dizzy control unit, and now it looks like the replacment is getting wonky. I will have a look on the Magna forum to see if this is also an issue with the early Magna's that use the same module. Thats 3 I have had problems with. :roll:

I think the module on the < GK models are a better unit. The GN and Magna have a miniturised electronic unit attatched to the dizzy body. I dont know of any situation that miniturised electronics have performed as well as full size. Take mobile phones for example :roll: :roll:
C_Fernance

Re: Strange issues

Post by C_Fernance »

Are you attaching them with the thermal paste stuff? They may be overheating without it.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Yes I use the paste. But they are pretty miserable with the ammount they give you :roll:

Chris, dont you know how to send PM's ;)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Sat down and though about this for a while :?

The two previous modules started to go bad on trips the Sydney. Now I am not blaming Sydney in any way, because it has been on the return trip that the things play up. They can fail if they overheat, and that is obviously what is happening.

Symptoms are always the same. First the Tacho starts to bounce all over the place, and it starts to missfire under load.
The first one I replace during a process of elimination. First the coil, then the cap and rotor, and finally the control module which fixed the problem. Second time I drove it till it failed completely. Fortunately that was as I turned into my driveway. But it kicked and bucked for around 10 klm before I got home . Didnt think I was going to make it. :(

So now the third one is starting the tacho and miss symptoms after a 200 klm Sunday drive. :(

I have got to find a way to keep these modules coolish. The GJ-GK modules are heaps bigger and have cooling fins. If this latest one fails I might have to look at converting to the old system.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Hmm, sounds a bit sus that its happened a third time?

Havn't had any thing to do with those newer set ups; is there anything else in the chain which could be knocking it off? Although by the sounds of it, everything has been replaced yeah?

Have you felt the dizzy after the 200k drive to feel how hot it gets?

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

This is only an issue with GN's :roll:

I have been reading up on Google. Because Google knows everything :D

Things that can set off a module failure.

spark plug gap too wide / faulty leads / wrong coil / worn contact posts in the dizzy cap / worn rotor , basicly anything that makes the control unit work harder.

They must get pretty hot when you consider that Control module is using the alloy distributor body to dissapate heat. Like it is getting hotter than the dizzy that is attatched to the head that is attatched to the block that is red hot (almost)
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

:oops: :oops: :oops: Is my face red :oops: :oops: :oops:

Went for a Sunday drive. Got about 10kl from home and the Tacho starts plsying up. Got another kl down the raod the Tacho dies, and so does the engine. Pulled into a side road and was feeling lucky that I had thrown the new module in the back of the wagon. Got out with my trusty philips head driver to undo the cover on the module. Hmmm that screw wasnt very tight, and nether was the other one.
Then I remembered wise words from my ex-machanic mate. The whole freakin ignition system grounds itself through one of the control module cover screws. How dumb is that. :roll: Anyway to cut an embarrasing story short, tighten the screws and did another 100kl without any problem. Now that I come to think of it he did say that it's a good idea to add an additional ground wire for most of the motor electrical components. :roll:
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

:lol: hehe, atleast there wasn't anything really wrong with it at the end of the day
(even if that does mean swolling some pride :P )

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
panda

Post by panda »

Good earthing is soooooo important on any car. To often this is overlooked. I'm glad its all sorted. :)
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

panda wrote:Good earthing is soooooo important on any car. To often this is overlooked. I'm glad its all sorted. :)
Me too :D