Fuel Gauge Issue

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
scooterdave

Fuel Gauge Issue

Post by scooterdave »

I am seeking some advice about my fuel gauge on an LB Lancer 4G32. Recently my alterantor failed and at the same time the fuel gauge stopped working. I have replaced the alternator with a new Ford one. All good. I droppedn the tank and tested the feul gauge and it was dead. I replaced it with another second hand one and it works outside the tank. I can move it to full and it is reflected on the dash almost full. It seem less sensitive down the lower end, but it works. When I put it in the tank i put in 30 ltrs and it didnt move the gauge. I filled the tank and the dash needle showed about half full.

How you I calibrate the tank senstor to that of the needle on the dash. Is there a resistor somewhere that could be faulty or need to be matched to the sender unit???

So many questions, but no answers. HELP anyone.

David
0433 740007
Superscan811

Re: Fuel Gauge Issue

Post by Superscan811 »

Hi Dave.
If the sensor is working fine but the guage is reading low, bend down the float arm a bit, but be careful not to move the sweep arm away from the contact wire.
I'd do it in 20mm increments until the gauge read full (with an almost full tank and on level ground). Allow 1 minute for the gauge to settle.

Also make sure the float is good. Not sure whether it uses a plastic or metal float but the metal ones can sometimes leak, causing them to read low.

Cheers.
scooterdave

Re: Fuel Gauge Issue

Post by scooterdave »

Yeah, that was next thing to do. I was just seeing if there was an electrical solution. But I think it makes sense to do a manual ajustment. It has a plastic float fitted. I have tested it in a bucket of water and its very bouyant

Cheers for the advice