Audio swap into cordia

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
AngryRobot

Audio swap into cordia

Post by AngryRobot »

Hey guys,

I've had a search but cannot see anything in relation to my specific issue.
I have the AWA equaliser out of a TN Elite and I am after the wiring diagram for the stereo unit/equaliser
so i can replace my tape deck and radio in my 1983 AA cordia but keep it looking period correct cause im weird like that.
As far as i can see there is your general power,ACC,Illumination and possibly earth wire but there are another 6 wires into the unit
(2 black and 4 black with trace) then a following 6 out (guessing the speakers out?) that are all different colours.
from the haynes guide on the standard model they all shared a common earth and I have no reason to believe this won't
follow the same general rules.

looking for any help possible even for cordia stereo wiring (but i'm sure that has been covered before)

Thanks in advance
LukeAussie

Re: Audio swap into cordia

Post by LukeAussie »

Hey Angry, welcome to the site!

I don't know exactly the details of the audio head you have, but am happy to take a few guesses. You may also be able to Google-search some stuff too.

It sounds like you have the Acc, Pwr, light and earth sorted. With the speakers, they should all have a pair of wires, whether they share the same earth or not (and if they do, they definitely will not have the same earth as the car!). My guess is you have four speakers (four of the coloureds, and four of the black-with-trace), which leaves another four wires. There's likely to be an antenna cable (to drive up/down a power antenna), and the others... that's tougher! There could be a line out pair (for an external amp), and possibly others that are signal or otherwise to another device (in the old days, you could get external CD stackers that would wire into a normal head). Perhaps if you could take some photos, that may help...

Good luck!
AngryRobot

Post by AngryRobot »

Thanks for the assist and welcome,
I think I wore google out from all the searching i've done (i'm sure I missed something) but from what I could see led me to the solution I had so far
(the black wires and single earth etc) but still left a few things in the dark. I have wired up my fair share of audio and I know how sensible (not) japanese wiring can be in their colour schemes which is why I figured i'd ask here. also I can't remember if the elite had only 4 speakers or if there was more which
would explain the extra wires from the original stereo and the 6 exiting the unit.

To clarify: this is the equaliser unit, the right plug went straight into the original cassette deck (which was not needed)
the left plug went into the center console area of the elite. Being at pick'N'paymore I couldn't test too many wires or even power it up
Plus I had a few other parts to retrieve and this was a secondary thought I had when I saw the unit so it was done quickly (on a 35+ degree day).

I appreciate the help :)
also, sorry for the large image and the cat fur.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Cool, the pic certainly helps! I'll refer to the wires coming out of the unit rather than the ones coming out of the connectors.

So, if I have this right, the connector on the left is all on it's own and is irrelevant here?

Looking at the conneector on the right, the red/yellow/white/blue coloured group is likely to be the power stuff (the fuse is a bit of a giveaway!), and the pairs green/grey are defintiely going to be speakers. The black and white/black are slightly more odd, but could be an earth or another set of speakers? What makes this slightly odd is that there are not enough wires to power up four speakers (16 wires would normally be required), so you could be on to something with their being a common earth. It could be a left and right common earth too (ie one for the left two speakers, one for the right two speakers). Perhaps look at the connector and see if any of the cables are jumpered, which would indicate this.

I'm not sure if I've been much help, but hopefully that gives you some things to check :) Good luck with it all!