Air Conditioning Recharge

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
d3v147

Air Conditioning Recharge

Post by d3v147 »

I've refitted the Aircon system to my sigma and need to regas the aircon.

I'm having trouble finding anyone that has R12 or the equivalent HR12 in Tasmania. I don't really want to convert to R134 because it is not as efficient and the heat exchanger will probably not be adequate.

I guess I'm hoping to charge it with LPG/propane (yes, from the barbecue) but I cant find anyone who will help me out down this path or find the type and amount of oil that I will need to do it myself.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice that would be great. I am not interested in any comments regarding safety or flammability; so please don't bother with them.
d3v147

Re: Air Conditioning Recharge

Post by d3v147 »

Just some reasoning and blend figures:

http://archive.hychill.com.au/pdf/pasolpgr.pdf
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

from memory my mates dads a fridgey by trade and he does all our re gasing and R12 is no longer around you have to get a retro fitted its a couple hundred bucks
d3v147

Post by d3v147 »

Totally incorrect.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Nah, not totally incorrect... R12 can't be bought or sold any more, and is no longer being manufactured (not anywhere that trades with us, anyway!), and so all that's left is all there is. So, unless you are a fridgey, it's as rare as rocking-horse poo, or for all intents and purposes, it no longer exists. Plus, it's illegal to handle without a licence...

A retrofit to R134A is one option, but it's not as good as R12 (you can get a heat exchanger for 134 too to make it adequate). There are other options though, including R410A (more complicated), or hydrocarbons. The latter is potentially easier and should be possible without having a licence (you'll want to reclaim the R12 you have though... it's illegal to let it loose, and to valuable to do that too! Plus, a fridgey will be eternally grateful!).

I had a mate who converted to hydrocarbon a while ago, and he did it all himself (in a land cruiser troopy), and I reckon he said it was straight forward. He found a bunch of resources online...

I can ask my old man if he has resources too, as he's also a fridgey (hence my inside knowledge...). Good luck!
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

well then....
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Nice..No wonder there is nobody on this site anymore... :|
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

me or him dave ?