ALTERNATOR

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
fridgeGB

ALTERNATOR

Post by fridgeGB »

Hey everyone, I've just purchased a new alternator to swap with the existing alternator out of my GB. I've already had to swap the regulator out of the original. When I did, the internals (bearings ect) where looking pretty sad so I thought it was a good excuse to get a new one. The replacement is a brand new alternator for a TR Magna. I installed the new one no worries but I'm having one issue. The charge light on my dash won't turn off. I know the alternator is charging and that my battery is fine. I have the dash light cable running from the L terminal from the regulator. Do I also need to run an individual cable from the S terminal back to the battery? Would this be why my leash light is staying on?

Cheers
Jordan1249

Re: ALTERNATOR

Post by Jordan1249 »

i could be 100% wrong but thought the magnas didnt have exterinal regulators all internal ?
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

If it's a BOSCH 85A alternator for a TR Magna, they are definitely internally regulated. External regulator can be completely removed.

"L" wire goes to dash light
"S" wire goes to battery (as well as the main B+ cable)
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

It's just a generic one with an external regulator. So I should just be able to loop straight from the B+ to the S terminal?
Cheers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

No idea

Never seen a TR alternator other than an 85A Bosch which has internal reg.
fridgeGB

Post by fridgeGB »

The loop worked no worries :thumpsup: