Electrics - Indicator modification..

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
shuggy

Electrics - Indicator modification..

Post by shuggy »

Here is one for the electrical savvy guys.

I wish to change my lights setup for indicators. And please dont lecture on the legalities - i dont care.

I want to wire up my indicators with my park lights so that:

a) when my park lights are on, all my indicators are on; and,
b) when i indicate, all the lights on that side of the car flash.

Initially I thought could just wire in a usually closed relay triggered by the indicator, but then realised that will only work when headlights are on

so would i have to have a relay triggered by the park lights so that when park lights are off, the circut is completed by the indicator stalk straight to thelights, and then when the park lights are on they trigger the switch over relay to usually closed relay that is then triggered open by the indicator stalk?

my head is all messed up too many relays...
LukeAussie

Re: Electrics - Indicator modification..

Post by LukeAussie »

Okay, legalities aside, there are a few practical considerations here. From memory, the park light circuit is set up that left and right are in the same circuit, although the fact that JDM cars apparently had a left/right control switch for parkers suggests that they may be on separate circuits, which is good news. You'll need to confirm this though, and check that the light switch is a double pole switch (ie it turns on two circuits at once).

From there, it's basically a matter of setting up your controls, and these will need to be done on the other side of your normal switches. Your relay to power the parkers with the indicator turn signals will power the parkers "after" the normal power switch (the normal switch provides 12V to the parker circuit. You'll need to provide that same 12V power to the circuit when the indicators are active in parallel to the parker switch, and it will need to be driven from the other side of your flasher can, not just from the stalk switch, otherwise the parkers will stay on permanent without flashing).

To do the indicators at the same time as your indicators is slightly more difficult, as I assume you'll only want them all lit when the car is stopped, and not while you're driving at night (since the parkers come on when you turn your driving lights on). You can do this in a similar way, with a relay (double pole) driving both L&R indicator circuits in parallel with your flasher can (ie not passing through it, so the indicators don't flash), but you'll need a second relay (or better yet, a transistor) to only allow this to happen when your driving lights are off (set up like a logical NOT gate).

Hope this helps. If I get time, I'll nut out a couple of rough circuit diagrams :-)