Crazy electronics - HELP NEEDED

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
A112H

Crazy electronics - HELP NEEDED

Post by A112H »

Okay, so the Scorpion is alive but the wiring is giving me massive head aches.
It had an alarm fitted before and it has messed it up something shocking.
As soon as you connect the battery it cranks over but won't fire. It also lights up the parking lights? There is no power to the coil until you put the key into the run position.
So what I have been doing to get it into a running state is manually applying the solenoid wire to the starter motor, obviously this is far from practical and any advise would be welcomed.

I have extracted all The aftermarket wiring and can not find the problem.
I could put a switch in the start wire as it won't start until the key is in the run position but that won't solve the parking light issue
On top of this I have found I have no head lights and no wipers.

Stoopid electrics, it dives me nuts
jvflash

Re: Crazy electronics - HELP NEEDED

Post by jvflash »

Have you removed the ignition cut off relay that the alarm would have had?

What I taught my 15yo daughter when she removed the alarm from her car is to follow each wire from the ignition barrel back through the loom (unwrapping the loom) and see if has been cut and shut into another loom or relay. Installers fit from the under dash wiring, so that is where the issue will be.

This is what she ended up with :thumpsup:
http://www.hyperaustralia.com/forums/vi ... c&start=30
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have stripped the car of every non factory wire and it still does it :(
Even did it when I unplugged the ignition, lol
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

mine use to do that when i put a test light in the ciggy lighter and touch the back and side of it so maybe something is grounded out thats doing it
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

So you've followed all the wires from the ignition barrel through to termination and ensured not cuts or splices?
A112H

Post by A112H »

That is the next step Jordan, go through and check all earth wires. As it is a fresh paint job there is a chance some paint is acting as insulation.
I haven't stripped the loom yet Flashy but that will be the step after checking grounding.
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Earth would explain headlights and wipers, but you applying power to the starter motor, not earth.

Or you could have a magic Scorpion where electricity behaves like anti-matter and if you connect the wrong wires you could travel back in time :|
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

jvflash wrote:Or you could have a magic Scorpion where electricity behaves like anti-matter and if you connect the wrong wires you could travel back in time :|
but only if you are travelling at 88 miles an hour and the flux capacitor is fully charged.

Cheers.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Ha ha, fun times with electronics! Sometimes it's easier to just start again...

So, you have removed the alarm and all it's components completely? And is all the factory wiring back to normal? The parking/headlights issue is weird and may be non-related (perhaps due to a dodgey earth, as already suggested), but as for the cranking problem, my thoughts are that the alarm/immobiliser acts on the ignition coil line (ie cuts power to the coil) until it's deactivated, so it'll still crank until you flatten the battery. There is likely a relay doing this. Actually, now that I think about it, there could be a wire that is activated in "start" that powers the starter and solenoid, and a separate wire to the coil, so that it cranks without powering the coil (and thus no spark), but in "on" it does power the coil. Perhaps someone with limited electronics ability put that together!

In any case, you'll need to find the relay that cuts the power to the coil in "start", and remove it. It's sounds like it's a normally open contact (which is also dodgey!), so that removing the alarm doesn't return things to normal.

Let us know how you go...
A112H

Post by A112H »

No bloody progress at all :(
The car is now 100% stock loom, I have a mountain of wires next to it and it is still doing the same thing.
1. If I disconnect the ignition loom at the column, it still auto cranks
2. If I disconnect the (factory) relay near the battery, it still auto cranks
3. If I unplug the main power plug (like 6 red wires) near the battery, it doesn't auto crank but the parkers still come on. It is driving me crazy.

I just can not find where the crank wire is getting power from.
I am sure if I can find this weird power source it will all be the same issue rolled into one. I hope :\
jvflash

Post by jvflash »

Did it drive onto the pit alright? That is before the alarm was removed, did it behave?
You have pictures of it in the street, and on the pit, so I assume the answer is yes.
You now say after removing the alarm, and only after the removing the alarm the car is now misbehaving?
There are no wires left to be corrected, and all loom plugs are properly mated to their corresponding plug?
You say you have now also traced all wires back from ignition to source and they are intact?
There is only one other modification you did, and it is a very long shot, but try removing this badge :P

Seriously though, when you say auto cranks, you mean without turning the key, you connect the battery and it cranks over? This sounds like incorrect wires have be rejoined when the alarm was removed?
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Hmmm, that is strange indeed. As JV says, when you say auto crank, do you mean without turning a key? I'd be double checking continuity of the wires if you can: disconnect the battery first, then make some kind of loop tester (a long wire that you can drag around to/from the front to/from the main loom) and use a short tester on your multimeter. But I'd be thinking that something is definitely hooked up incorrectly here... gotta love electrical problems!
barana

Post by barana »

bypass the factory loom by wiring the + side of the coil directly to the battery and run a patch cable from the -ive side of the coil to the dizzy input wire.

now crank and start motor. this eliminates coil and balast as cause of no start.

did it now start?
barana

Post by barana »

note dont keep that + wire conneced after running engine for too long, as i will keep power and heat to coil and draining battery.
barana

Post by barana »

It also sounds like you have wired the coil or (it is your efi engine?) coil relay or power transistor is wired into the crank signal and not ignition on from your ig switch.