Programming a stock ECU

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
A112H

Programming a stock ECU

Post by A112H »

Okay, so I know the general rule is any mods to an efi car will require an aftermarket ECU.
But, this is not always so with Mitsubishi ECU's
I know that the stock 4G63 ECU can be modded and tuned to pretty much what ever you want, same goes for the 6A13 ECU
What about the 4G54 ECU? Has anyone messed with one?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Programming a stock ECU

Post by Scorpma82 »

I'm not very cluey when it comes to ECU's but the way i see it is....the older the ECU, the fewer options/varibles u have to modifying/improving the original

analagy.........trying to mod an old 486 pentium against a pentium 4
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Narcotics

Post by Narcotics »

So you need a co-math processor in your ecu? :lol:
The most expensive car I've ever bought was a 1984 Mitsubishi... in 2014.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Running Windows 95, of course...

On a more serious note, I haven't played around with this before, but from a theoretical view point, I don't think it'd be a difficult thing to achieve. It all depends on what's been defined as a variable and programmable input... Keen to hear how you go!
unique10

Post by unique10 »

Is there any particular reason that you want to crack the ecu? Theres a mob here that can do any ecu but its upward of 1000 bucks...
simon

Post by simon »

Hi, are you using something like this to reprogram the ecu.
http://www.evoscan.com/
A112H

Post by A112H »

I was just thinking that down the track I would like to "hot up" my engine with a big cam, larger TB and bigger injector, maybe even a turbo down the track. So was thinking wiring and cost wise if you can get the stock ECU tuned it would make life much easier.
The stock ECU in both my VR4s could be tuned to do anything an aftermarket ECU could as long has you had the factory program or maps to suit. Figured Mitsibishi being Mitsubishi I don't see them doing much different with the Magna ECU
I wouldn't be doing it Simon, Mike Dale did my 92 VR4 and would probably ask him to do this one too, just thought I would ask here in case. You never know what some of these brains are up to in the shadows, lol
I will check that link out though, looks interesting :thumpsup:
simon

Post by simon »

I think everyone on here would have more computer ability than me, but if it would work we might find someone to guild us through it 8-)
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

generally the older style ecus are built using single write chips. so once programmed cannot be re-programmed without replacing the chip. although some ecus have a second socket for another chip, so you can put in a new chip with a custom tune on it.
some have FLASH roms, which are erased with a UV light and then can be reflashed.
and others /newer ones usually have non volatile RAM as they need to store ecu and engine trim data and write to themselves. these are most common in almost all OBD2 ecus from 2000 onwards.
Insert witty one liner here -->