GA-GB Guages and Sensors (are they different)

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
VGJONO

GA-GB Guages and Sensors (are they different)

Post by VGJONO »

So the last few days ive been driving my sisters GA galant since my GD is out of commission, Now the guages have never really worked, the speedo did but then it snapped the cable, no problem grab a new cable, But as for the others i have had a thought, could the guages and sensors be different From GA to GB as i have a dash cluster from a GB in it. i only thought of this as i have read before on some weird little differences between one and the other. So right now i have nothing going on with the Temp guage, absolutely nothing, and my fuel guage is only reading about half when the tank is close to full.

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup:
geezer101

Re: GA-GB Guages and Sensors (are they different)

Post by geezer101 »

I know there's a difference between the sender units in the Galants and Sigmas - guys get caught out all the time when doing an engine swap but it normally only screws up the temperature gauge. They (GA to GB) 'should' be the same as they're the same generation of engine. As for the fuel gauge the sender unit in the tank has probably gone bung on you.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

I agree with Geezer, I'm pretty sure they're the same across GA and GB, but not 100% certain. In any case, gauges are usually easy to change around with a very small amount of electronics (I helped my bro with some gauge conversions from a 6V VW Beetle to a 12V one). But I don't think you'd need to. I'd do a hot-swap and see what works, and then possibly check the signals (with a multimeter) to ensure the sensors themselves are actually working :-)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Cheers guys, Also completely forgot that the engine is a 76 (GD) engine, if the sensor was different between GA and GD would it cause the gauge to not work at all or just read incorrect, if they are different :)

Cheers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

It would only mess up the reading AFAIK. The fuel gauge won't be affected as you haven't changed the sender in the tank and other than the temperature gauge, the rest are idiot lights.
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Yeah, it's possible that the reading would be messed up, but quite possible that it'd be okay. I doubt that they'd change the tech behind the gauges or sensors (though it is possible), and even if they did, it would be relatively easy to correct. Most of them use some kind of current or voltage limitation (usually through a variable resistor type sensor), and it'd be unlikely the scaling will change. I'd suggest giving it a go, and seeing if they work... they're all pretty simple, so it'd be hard to do too much damage :-)
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Cheers for the help guys, was really only looking for an answer for the fuel gauge as i plan to fit mechanical temp/oil pressure Gauges just for that extra handy accuracy :)

Might plug the GA guage cluster back in and see what happens, if nothing then no big deal, if the fuel gauge works then winning :P

Cheers