Car wont turn off with ignition and Brake Warning Light On!

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Boc

Car wont turn off with ignition and Brake Warning Light On!

Post by Boc »

Hey gang,
Left my Scorpion while on a trip away for a few years and since returning a few ghosts have appeared in the machine!

Firstly Brake Warning light stays on now - anyone got a quick fix for me? Fluid is full but I get the feeling that the brakes are not entirely letting go. In neutral it seems that there is an ever so slight sticking without applying brakes. Could something else throw a warning light? Bought a new brake master cylinder just in case it needs an overhaul but could anything in the brake line cause error light or sticking?

Next issue is that my Scorp no longer turns off when i turn the key off. All electricals die but engine keeps running. Before i pull apart the ignition system does anyone have any ideas? I have the idea of putting a kill switch inline but would like the problem fixed if its an easy one?

All help greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)
geezer101

Re: Car wont turn off with ignition and Brake Warning Light

Post by geezer101 »

The brake warning light is only a fluid level indicator (someone else is having a similar problem on the forum atm) so the switch needs to be tested to find out what is going on. Adding a kill switch isn't going to solve your engine run on problem, its only going to add another issue to it. Try removing the ignition switch assembly from the back of the ignition barrel lock and swapping it for another one. They do wear out and can cause all sorts of grief - car not starting, no accessory power, engine starting but not running etc. If its running and not 'pre igniting' its a switching/hard wiring fault (IMO anyway) Good luck 8-)
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

So when you turn the key off, does the car continue to run for a bit and then turn off, or does it just continue to run (in which case, how are you turning it off?). As Geezer says, I'd be checking the switch (you can test the contacts with a multimeter set to continuity, if you have one), and make sure that the ignition is cut when you turn the key to ACC or off.
Boc

Post by Boc »

Thanks guys... I had posted this in the Scorpion Space but didn't have much luck so thought i would try here. Have since got some good pointers so will get into it this week.
Car runs as if key is still switched on - doesn't skip a beat. I have a distant memory (before a long trip overseas) of it staying on but then cutting out a short time later... this maybe happened a few times but corrected itself... not so much anymore :)

Only way to shut her down is dropping the clutch without having to get under the bonnet... not nice! Will get my multi out. Thanks again!
d3v147

Post by d3v147 »

I had this problem and installing a bigger alternator solved it for some stupid reason.