Facet pump NEW

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
lance

Facet pump NEW

Post by lance »

Just brought a new facet pump on Ebay. Didn't test it, just installed it.
Turned the key to prime it up and all l got was a lot of noise , very loud and no suction .
Has anybody ever had a dud one ?
Don't think ive done anything wrong like fuel flowing in the wrong direction etc.
Will have another look tomorrow night but think l will have to take it up with the seller.
A112H

Re: Facet pump NEW

Post by A112H »

Fuel might be connected the right way but are the electrics?
Sounds silly but I have seen it done.
lance

Post by lance »

Yes l did cross the wires for a split second to see what would happen but all l got was a spark. If l do , or if it is wired around the wrong way, being electronic will l damage it ?
A112H

Post by A112H »

I would just imagine it will pump the wrong way
lance

Post by lance »

All ok now
The pump just made a lot of noise . When l put my finger over the input it just didn't seem to have the slightest of suction.
But what l did notice was that when you first switch it on the first couple of beats seem to have suction.
So what l did was switch it on and off quickly for over ten times which made it prime.
Once primed it seemed to work ok . Must of had a little bit of shit in the little sucker.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sorry Lance, I didn't realise you were running it dry. Yes they need to be primed first, I usually use a hose on the outlet and 'siphon' it until the pump is full.
lance

Post by lance »

Went to start the old girl today only to here the lift pump rattling its head off.
Not happy, l thought they were a LIFT PUMP AND THAY SAY THAY ARE SELF PRIMING .
The pump is mounted on the boot flour under the car . It is mounted right side up and l would say that it is
6inchs from the centre of the pump to the bottom of the tank.
Have l mist a trick ?
unique10

Post by unique10 »

I dunno mate but it just sounds like a facet thing. I have one mounted in my valiant and its loud too but its below the fuel tank so its gravity fed, whixh could be the reason why its still alive.
I actually 2 days ago shat out my carter lift pump in the galant too and am now looking for a replacement. From what ive found facet is one of the cheaper out there. You also have to make sure that its high volume/low pressure, self priming and that it can suck fuel - ie. not gravity fed (for obvious reasons)

See how you go with this one but if its officially rubbish pierburg seem to have a good reputation and seem to fit the bill better than any bosch, walbro, carter, holley, magnafuel ect.
ozdusterdave

Post by ozdusterdave »

Highly recommend you make sure that the pump is mounted the correct way up..( standing with the feet at the bottom.)not just bolted upside down to the floorpan.
I got a bit of 90x90 box section and mounted the pump inside it,then mounted the box section to the underside floorpan.. Much quieter,longer lasting.I don't know if the cheaper Chinese knockoff facet pumps state this in the instructions or not??but the expensive USA facet pump definately says it is important to mount it correctly. hope this helps.
lance

Post by lance »

Unique l do think l have a dud . The first pump l had was second hand one and came with the kit. I fitted it in the same place and she primed and filled the surge tank in seconds.
But she only lasted one drive. The car conked out crossing Eastlink on Ferntree Gully Rd .Not a place to stall half way over an intersection , with a wall of cars behind you.
Was able to swing her into the right hand turn lane.Then into reverse and used the starter to winch her back and up the spoon gutter to safety.
Yes Dave the first punp was mounted upside down . l know you said to mount it right way up but it was sooooooo easy to mount it upside down.
The new pump is a 7-10 psi FACET and is mounted in a piece of c cannel .So it sits upright. The Ebay add stated that it is self primping and can lift up to 11 inchs
Really l think the best way and the simplest under the car would be a swirl pot fitted in my tank.
Thanks guys
Mark
lance

Post by lance »

What a fool am l.
All my problems turned out to be a faulty power supply.
Tested the wire only to find it was supplying just over 10 volts.
l was the wire to the rear window demister . This was temp till l had time to run wires down to the pumps.
The car is running the old Satin with a mech pump.