Fuel/temp gauge not working and CHG light

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
hengagc75

Fuel/temp gauge not working and CHG light

Post by hengagc75 »

Just today I was driving home and my charge light came on out of nowhere. Just got my a new battery last week so couldn't be that. After that I went to drive my car and noticed the fuel and temp gauge aren't working. I don't have a manual so I'm not sure where abouts to look. Please help!
tubby

Re: Fuel/temp gauge not working and CHG light

Post by tubby »

if your charge light is on your alternator isn't working and the voltage drop could cause your powered guages to stop working. chuck a multimeter on your battery and check the power.
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
Marshal09

Post by Marshal09 »

Nice post!
Gormzz

Post by Gormzz »

I would also look at the regulator box located in the engine bay to the drivers side near the strut tower.. IF the plug has fallen out/disconnected it will throw that light to i have found out. Just replaced my battery.. chucked in a second hand alternator.. then found the loose plug so was spewing.. Light came on but disappeared after driving the car and over the last week the battery hasn't lost charge from me driving to and from work.
Toyota Cressida 77,79'
Mitsubishi Starion Track Car 84'
Mitsubishi Starion Widebody 89'

My projects/cars.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Most importantly check your fuses as well i had something similar was my fuse had blown
gaPhil

Post by gaPhil »

Sounds like a fuse if all three have gone. If the fuse blows to the instrument cluster the charge light will come on.
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
LukeAussie

Post by LukeAussie »

Yeah, a fuse would be the first thing to check for sure. After that, check the voltage on the battery with the car running (and make sure it's north of 13V at least), which will tell you if there are any issues with the alternator or regulator