Electronic speedo

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
gareth12

Electronic speedo

Post by gareth12 »

Just gathering bits for my conversion. I need an electronic speedo, is anyone aware of something that will go into a GJ sigma and look factory?

I have explored options like the Cable X system (apparently not very good) and the TERF speed changer (out of stock for months), before i start trying to cut and shut stuff using the sigma face i wondered if anyone had any thoughts

I had thought about going for the magna electronic dash but it looks to create as many problems as it fixes with fuel senders and such.

Cheers

Gareth
DriveBy

Re: Electronic speedo

Post by DriveBy »

I'd be interested in this too
smithdavidjames

Post by smithdavidjames »

A bit of an off wall suggestion is a GPS Speedo... Due to inaccuracies in my speedo created by wheel and gearbox changes came across this:

http://www.speedhut.com/

This seemed to be best option for stock look which is basically new technology behind a traditional dial speedo. It's also independent of the car so it will always be accurate even if you change your wheel or tyre size or mess around with your gearbox and not get the correct length speedo cable... These seem to be readily available on eBay but are a bit pricey when you think you can buy a full blown GPS for less. There are other options with a more digital feel for less just look on ebay and you'll see what I mean.

Dave
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

yeah i looked at the gps stuff, did you get it in the cluster looking factoryish? They are all basically enclosed units by the looks

i see your in the mountains! im katoomba
gareth12

Post by gareth12 »

i see the ones on ebay with a number readout... The car has to be engineered and im pretty sure legally i need an odometer which they dont have. They arent a bad option, saved al ot of buggering around, but hoping for a factory look
smithdavidjames

Post by smithdavidjames »

Yep in the mountains all be it a little lower than you at Warrimoo... Hope to be working up your way soon when they finally open the BigW. As for the speedo haven't stumped up the cash for one yet as I have only just re-registered my old girl and that depleted the coffers quite a bit. I just have to remember that when my speedo says I'm doing 70 it's actually 80 and when it says 100 it's actually about 120 beyond that it's any-bodies guess...
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Speedhut does have non GPS versions too, which are what I've been eyeballing for my Coupe. That being said, I also have a Supra R154 5spd so I have the option of using a factory electronic speedo sender to mate to the Speedhut gauge.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

I had speedhut customise there Electronic Speedo with the layout of my Lancer (to look factory)

They did a great job and it cost around $250

Yet to fit it to see how it works - doing that atm !

Lindsay