Car cuts out when turning on headlights

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
hengagc75

Car cuts out when turning on headlights

Post by hengagc75 »

Hey guys last night I was filling up petrol and after I went to turn my car back on she just wouldn't start. Had my uncle come Jump start me but every time we took the leads off the car would die so we tried it without the headlights and it worked fine. Every time we turned the headlights on the battery would just die. Thinking it might be a grounded wire somewhere in the mix. Just wondering if any of you have had a similar issue
LukeAussie

Re: Car cuts out when turning on headlights

Post by LukeAussie »

Hmmm, that is a strange one. Never had anything like that before...

So, were the headlights actually working, or was the switch on but lights off/dim?

It's also strange that with the jumper leads attached, the car ran, but died when disconnecting. Was it straight away when removing the leads?

I'd be interested to see what the battery voltage is with the lights on and off. Could be a dead battery cell, faulty alternator (including a regulator issue), or a short that's killing the coil or condenser or something??? Very odd!

Happy troubleshooting!
hengagc75

Re: Car cuts out when turning on headlights

Post by hengagc75 »

The lights were working fine, I got it working this morning, didn't really do much. Just had a look ar some grounds and cleaned any bit of corrosion on the wires, there was a fair bit in some places and when I turned it on it worked no worries. Hoping that it was this easy and I won't have to deal with it again.