Negative Pulse Central Locking??

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Shifta

Negative Pulse Central Locking??

Post by Shifta »

Hey guys,

My new daily has an old Mongoose alarm and it has one wire dedicated to Central Locking. I bought a generic Central Locking Kit and the instructions are great, I'm just having trouble getting it to work! I'll break it into 2 parts:

The Alarm
Has one Red/Black wire and according to the manual it needs to go to the Central Locking System however it came out of the alarm with a Red wire and both were on the same plug. I cut the plug off and Tested the red/black wire with a light - I press the remote and this wire provides Earth. I press the button again and the Earth goes. The other red wire which the manual doesn't mention seems to do not much at all!

The Central Locking Kit
The whole unit gets power and Earth. There are 2 dedicated Central Locking remote wires - One green/yellow and one Blue/Yellow. I touch the Green/Yellow wire to earth and the locking mechanisms lock. I touch the Blue/yellow to earth and the mechanisms unlock. I connect either to the Alarms Black/red wire and nothing happens ( doesn't really make sense! )

So I can't see how to join them ! I've tried various combinations and can't seem to get the remote to trigger the locks up or down. The 2 wires from unit versus 1 wire from alarm has got me stumped! Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Superscan811

Re: Negative Pulse Central Locking??

Post by Superscan811 »

Shifta wrote:The Alarm
Has one Red/Black wire and according to the manual it needs to go to the Central Locking System however it came out of the alarm with a Red wire and both were on the same plug. I cut the plug off and Tested the red/black wire with a light - I press the remote and this wire provides Earth. I press the button again and the Earth goes.
So the black lead stays earthed until the alarm is activated?
If this is the case, it would be an "ENABLE" signal for the Central locking. This disables the central locking unit when the alarm is on.
Shifta wrote: The Central Locking Kit
The whole unit gets power and Earth. There are 2 dedicated Central Locking remote wires - One green/yellow and one Blue/Yellow. I touch the Green/Yellow wire to earth and the locking mechanisms lock. I touch the Blue/yellow to earth and the mechanisms unlock. I connect either to the Alarms Black/red wire and nothing happens ( doesn't really make sense! )
If you are wanting to Unlock/Disarm and Lock/Arm, you will need another circuit to go in between the 2 units unless there is another signal wire on the central locking unit for an alarm.

Can you post a pic of the wiring diagram for both units as there may be another way as well, depending on what I/O they have.

Cheers.
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks for the reply mate! I'm no good with electrics so hopefully can make sense. The Red/Black wire from the alarm is Earthed when the alarm is on. To test this I ran a test light from the positive on the battery to that wire and the light was on when the alarm was on. When the alarm was off the test light went out. The manual/wiring diagram for the alarm is this one: http://www.5starcaralarms.co.nz/manuals/M400.PDF. I don't have a scan of the central locking system but it reads as follows:

Black - to ground
Red - to 12v
Plus the door mechanism wires which are all colour coded

Then a seperate section for Optional Central Locking:
Green/Yellow - Negative lock input
Blue/yellow - negative UnLock Input

I rigged it all up just then and with the alarm on, I could get the mechanisms to move by touching each of the input wires to the red/black alarm wire one at a time but not both touching at once. And when I turned the alarm off they did nothing......
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Mongoose-4-Door-Central-Locking-Kit-MDK4100G for $60. According to the description, it has the correct interface for the alarm.

Might be worth asking them if they sell the interface separately..

Cheers.
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks mate, might check it out. Feel like I'm so close though! I can get the doors to lock when I turn the alarm on as it gives an earth to the Input Lock wire. Turning the alarm off doesn't unlock though - to do that I need to touch the unlock wire to a new earth. I need to figure out how to send a new Earth pulse to the unlock wire when the alarm button is pressed to turn it off!

Edit: sussed it! The red wire that came off the unit but wasn't mentioned in the wiring diagram - looks like that is a second earth trigger. It only gets the faintest glow out of the test light, but when I turn the alarm off it must be enough to unlock the doors! Cheerin. Packed it in due to rain and dark but will try and do it properly early next week :).