Mounting speakers

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
hengagc75

Mounting speakers

Post by hengagc75 »

Anyone who has mounted their speakers in ther galant, where did you mount them? I don't want to go into the sides I the doors. Cheers
geezer101

Re: Mounting speakers

Post by geezer101 »

Is there enough space in the front kick panels to fit them in? I think you'd only be able to install 4" speakers in there and may require making a better panel to anchor them to. When it comes to car audio it's all about compromise - you either have to cut up door and parcel shelf trims (and sheet metal) to get the gear you want in or settle for something less to avoid cutting up bits of your car...
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

could you remove your original door skins (keeping them in storage) and make/fit customs ones????

Or is that something ur wanting to avoid?

If you make custom ones...you can fit the speaker anyway you wanted to within reason)
Built with pride, Driven in anger
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

What I did with my uncle was build a temporary console and installed it underneath the dash right under the ashtray. So I've got basically a box in front of the shifter with the stereo and speakers. Doesn't sound too appealing but it actually isn't do bad. Used some material to stuff it and put vinyl sheets over the top. I'll post pics up when it's all done, just wiring it at the moment.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

geezer101 wrote:Is there enough space in the front kick panels to fit them in?
No, not in a Galant.

What I did for fronts, was to buy speaker pods, add spacers to the rear and fit them to the front floor just in front of the seats.
The negative side is, any dirt/sand on your shoes ends up dropping straight into them, so it shortens your speaker life. But I suppose speakers are cheap...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

75wagon wrote:What I did for fronts, was to buy speaker pods, add spacers to the rear and fit them to the front floor just in front of the seats.
The reason I didn't mention pods is the amount of space they swallow up in the foot wells (really bad to do in the driver's side), how much of a hammering they get from getting in and out of the car and the junk the speakers collect from shoes. I didn't go on about door trims as hengagc75 had already stated - 'no mounting speakers on the doors'.
Inasaya

Post by Inasaya »

75wagon wrote:
geezer101 wrote:Is there enough space in the front kick panels to fit them in?
No, not in a Galant.

What I did for fronts, was to buy car navigation system speaker pods, add spacers to the rear and fit them to the front floor just in front of the seats.
The negative side is, any dirt/sand on your shoes ends up dropping straight into them, so it shortens your speaker life. But I suppose speakers are cheap...
Have you got those speaker pods? I need them so can you help me.
Last edited by Inasaya on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Inasaya wrote:Have you got those speaker pods? I need them so can you help me.
Door pods are readily available from either a reasonable aftermarket car accessory shop or online. Or have a look on youtube for a tutorial on how to make a pair yourself. They're constructed from MDFand fibreglass and can be wrapped in vinyl to match the interior of your car. Not out of reach for Joe Average to make in the garage. :thumpsup:
turbol200

Post by turbol200 »

i fitted a set into the rear of my wagon, into the skins at the sides, i thourght they were all broken any ways were the worst part of the interior so i cut holes in them, the rest is mint as, no holes or cracks in the dash
spoto a 57 chev

...a 57 2 door
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

Wish i saw this thread before, but this is where i have put my speakers in my GD Galant

Front kick panels can fit 4" speakers with spacers and some massaging of the metalwork behind the kick panel, there is a square opening of which i have just bent using a hammer to give me the extra cm or two of clearance i needed.

Parcel shelf, conveniently there are 4 holes azlready in the parcel shelf steel from factory so all i did is mount my speakers on the peice of board in the rear (not sure if all galants have this as it is a weird carpet/looks home made to me) and spaced them out so the magnets ect. of the speakers will fit through the hole, 2x 6" inch speakers and 2x 4" inch speakers

Cheers
VGJONO :thumpsup: