Cd player ariel?

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
hengagc75

Cd player ariel?

Post by hengagc75 »

Anyone put a cd player in their galant? Is it possible to hide the ariel? Don't want anything hanging out of my car
75wagon
Admin

Re: Cd player ariel?

Post by 75wagon »

Short answer is YES.
ALL Galant sedans use the boot lid for the aerial, if your's doesn't then someone has replaced it with an after market one.

Have a look at your boot lid hinge mountings, you will see that they are all isolated, and that you boot lid should have a earth like type of attachment for the aerial to connect.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Beat me to it Dave, lol. I read this at work but couldn't remember my password to log in and answer :P
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:I read this at work but couldn't remember my password to log in and answer
That just shows how much you don't love the site... :lol:
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Shows how many stupid bloody passwords I need to remember, lol
I think I have changed this one 20 times :P
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

BMW hide their aerials in the 'a' pillar garnish and the reception seems o.k. I discovered where it was hiding in a friends '89 318i as the garnish was literally crumbling :o
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Some early Mazdas had it embeded in the windscreen... :|
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Did too, I think a mates 1974? (from memory) that he had back in 1988 had an ariel in the windscreen. Think it ran up the centre and across the top?
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

The Ariel is still in tact but for some reason the radio doesn't work.. Could it be that its loose or that the original radio is just too old? I have no idea!
A112H

Post by A112H »

Where are you based hengagc75?

Edit: just read your signature, I guess Melbourne :P
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Yeah Jason located in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

hengagc75 wrote:The Ariel is still in tact but for some reason the radio doesn't work.. Could it be that its loose or that the original radio is just too old? I have no idea!
Does any sound come out of it at all.
If it's the aerial, then all you'll here is static that will get louder and softer with the volume knob.
If there is nothing at all, it could be the speaker (if that's the original as well, that wont help a thing).
It could be the radio itself, but I would find it unlikely.

Does the light come on in the tuning screen?
hengagc75

Post by hengagc75 »

Sometimes if the radio is turned on music will play randomly, like some AM stations, depending on where I am driving. The light doesn't come on though
yno26galant

Post by yno26galant »

i used a little bit of off cut 2.5 wire and it works perfect
Inasaya

Post by Inasaya »

hengagc75 wrote:Anyone put a cd player in their galant? Is it possible to hide the ariel? Don't want anything hanging out of my car
I have never done that but after reading entire post it sounds great and I will surely try to put cd player in galant
Last edited by Inasaya on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Inasaya wrote:I have never done that but after reading entire post it sounds great and I will surely try to put cd player in galant
Are you taking the piss or are you serious?
Putting a CD player in any car is pretty basic :think:
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

75wagon wrote:
Inasaya wrote:I have never done that but after reading entire post it sounds great and I will surely try to put cd player in galant
Are you taking the piss or are you serious?
Putting a CD player in any car is pretty basic :think:
A noob is still a noob... if someone has never attempted to do an aftermarket head unit install the first go can be daunting. And older cars have their own challenges - the existing location in the dash can be too small (or in the case of the GC/GD Galant a weird shape), nowhere to anchor the mounting cage, no permanent power wire and heater ducts running all over the place. The last thing anyone wants to do is fry their new head unit or made it look like it was put in with a hammer and a hot glue gun. Give it a go Inasaya, it is rewarding to know you did it yourself and a basic CD head unit is a good starting point to learn about car audio. 8-)