how much do i need?

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
75glnt

how much do i need?

Post by 75glnt »

hey guys, how much paint, undercoat and clear coat do i need? (for the galant) cheers :)
N/A ALL THE WAY
A112H

Re: how much do i need?

Post by A112H »

Your local paint shop should be able to advise you. I bought 4lt of colour but I will give you a tip, buy 20lt of thinners, you WILL use it for washing up equipment as well as thinning the paint.
What type of paint are you using?
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

lol my closest paint store is 100 odd k away :) i know so far i need the 20L reducer/thinners, 4L of topcoat (crisp white) (or until i see a gb in silver. so far i prefer white) but the undercoat and clear. im assuming aprox 2L of clear. maybe more. i want 3-6 coats of clear as i drive on dirt roads alot. or might just go with enamel? it cracks too easilly though. which i'd prefer acrylic cause the roo's :/ and 4L primer?
N/A ALL THE WAY
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

More coats of clear will never hurt.
I painted my car and got 4 cans of pressure pack primer, then used about 2L of white, 1L of black, 500ml red and 100ml of silver.
Put at least 4 coats of clear over that and it was about 2L. Last coat is thinned down quite a bit (at panel beaters advice) to give a smooth finish, runs and finishes a bit more even.
Dont forget to sand back before putting clear on to get rid of the orange peal.
I did acrylic, wishing I spend the extra for 2pack now.

Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

im thinking 2k as i plan on keeping the old girl. sudden change of heart. dont like it. but no-one paints acrylic cause they're shit painters! 2k is so easy to apply! fills in mistakes that they make. and i want a great job so im not doing it.
N/A ALL THE WAY