Factory Paint Finishes

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
Jasinex

Factory Paint Finishes

Post by Jasinex »

Hey guys,

I have done a bit of searching and i am wondering what the factory paint finish is on a 1981 GH SE sigma.

We have a mustard yellow color SE and the paint is in really good condition. We have had to make a couple of rust repairs and we are going to re paint these areas.

From factory did these cars have clear coat? or is it just a color that has been sanded and buffed to shine?

If there is no clear coat, when we spray the areas in color, should we just blend in the new paint, wet sand and buff the whole area to try and hide it?

Is the paint finish Enamel or 2 Pac?

Thanks

Jason
75wagon
Admin

Re: Factory Paint Finishes

Post by 75wagon »

Jasinex wrote:I have done a bit of searching and i am wondering what the factory paint finish is on a 1981 GH SE sigma.
There will be a paint code on your compliance plate.
Go to an Auto paint store (a proper one not just an auto parts store that sells auto paint), quote the code and model year of your car. They will be able to mix it for you, and give you it's proper name.
Take your petrol filler cover (well polished of course) and pay them a couple of dollars extra to colour match the new paint to the old.
Jasinex wrote:From factory did these cars have clear coat?
Metallic colours yes, solid colours no.
Jasinex wrote:is it just a color that has been sanded and buffed to shine?
Yes.
Jasinex wrote:If there is no clear coat, when we spray the areas in color, should we just blend in the new paint, wet sand and buff the whole area to try and hide it?
Yes.
Jasinex wrote:Is the paint finish Enamel or 2 Pac?
Acrylic lacquer is easiest to use for repairs, and accepted in the auto paint industry.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Jasinex

Post by Jasinex »

Thanks 75wagon.

We have had paint mixed up for us before and i have used acrylic and enamel for painting repairs. However this is the first time i have had to do repairs in an area which will be clearly visible. Before it was just door jams and boot lips etc.

So we shall see how we go with masking and priming and blending and sanding and buffing. Hopefully it doesn't look horribly obvious!!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Jasinex wrote:So we shall see how we go with masking and priming and blending and sanding and buffing. Hopefully it doesn't look horribly obvious!!!
I've repaired a few over the years, and had very good results. Non metallic paints are pretty easy.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
scorpioncollector

Post by scorpioncollector »

Its called, blending in or wetting out, there is/was a product called blending clear. Or you just bit by bit add thinners to the paint and fleck it out overlapping
the last spray edge Its not hard to do, time and patients..
Or you can use a bit of clear in with the colour towards the end an do the same as above.
Come around home if you get stuck, or I may be able to come and pay that visit and show you pending my work load.
Have one of my own to do shortly, finely getting back into doing some of mine up (daughters scorpion first)
and some touch ups on my wagon which is clear over base two pac (clear).
different spraypainters have there own methods.
Jasinex

Post by Jasinex »

How is it best to apply the color to blend?

Please let me know if this is correct or wrong! hehehe

1st Coat - Use correct mixture of color and thinners (50% / 50% for my paint) to the repaired area and feather the edges

2nd Coat - Again use the correct mixture of color and thinners (50% / 50% for my paint) to a larger area then the repair area and feather the edges

3rd Coat - Use a reduced mixture of color with more thinners (25% / 75%) covering the repaired are and the feathered area to 'blend'?

Ive never used any blending products as such.

I dont plan to use clear either. Ill just be using solid color.

Jason