Panel gaps ...can they be non exsistant???

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Panel gaps ...can they be non exsistant???

Post by Scorpma82 »

Hi guys....a quick question

But before i ask it...just to let you know....this is nothing more than a theory....i'm not an expert of any kind....

So the question is:

(Once again..in theory) could you fabricate the front guards to 'overlap' the doors to reduce the panel gaps????

My theory was...if you used an extension on the panels (steel or fibreglass), could you cover...say..5-10mm of the next panel to reduce the massive panel gaps......essentially the theory i based it on was something along the line s of scales (like on a fish) or exhaust connections...
Built with pride, Driven in anger
A112H

Re: Panel gaps ...can they be non exsistant???

Post by A112H »

Measure the gap between the door and the guard with the door closed.
Now fully open the door and measure the gap again.
You will find your answer.
mstrrab1992

Post by mstrrab1992 »

or do the smart thing, bog it all up, weld it shut, and do dukes of hazard style? Epic
All Animals to the Crow: Your not a zoo animal!
Monkey to crow:your just jealous cause noone says "mummy mummy i want to see a crow!"
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Y?????
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

i want the body a real smooth look as it gets seen driven on the street.....simple as that
Built with pride, Driven in anger
ddt

Post by ddt »

My theory was...if you used an extension on the panels (steel or fibreglass), could you cover...say..5-10mm of the next panel to reduce the massive panel gaps......essentially the theory i based it on was something along the line s of scales (like on a fish) or exhaust connections...
if you overlap panels, you may lose the panel gap but you'll gain something worse; steps in the reflections (like when you haven't closed you door properly).

If panel gaps really bug you, consider painting your car black to reduce the visibility of them.

I suppose if you were really keen, you could minimise panel gaps by adjusting the rear doors so they sit as close to the rear quarter panel as possible then adjust the front doors backwards also. Then lastly with slight redrilling of the front fender panel bolt holes and possibly some grinding you can shift those back as needed also. You'd probably find though the bonnet will now stick out 10-12mm too far compared to the front fenders -you may be able to adjust the bonnet back 5mm but would probably need to grind back 5mm from the rear edge of the bonnet to make up the difference.

of course you'd have issues to contend with like how the window frames will fit against the A and B pilars if you move the doors too much but perhaps just a few mm might be all you need so that they don't annoy you so much?
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

panel gaps are there for a reason, reduce them to much or overlap and the panels will rub together every time you drive it
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust