Re: lancer respray TIPs

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
7thsin

Post by 7thsin »

just after a few pointers for a back yard spry job and steps required, got a fair idea wat needs to be done but id rather proper tips if any cheers .

= Lancer 1976 =
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I don't know how far you want to go with it, so I'll keep it pretty general.

I've found that doing more work often in the ends means doing less.
What I mean by that is it's always a better job that lasts longer if you remove things rather then just masking up around them. Eg: removing door handles, locks, mechanisms and striker plates. Windscreens front and rear and door glass removal along with bailey channel and door sealing rubbers are something I always remove as well.

If you are going to respray over the old paint, make sure you rub it back until all the gloss is gone so the new paint sticks, or better still strip the paint. I strip all the outsides of the body panels and file finish them so I can get them straight. Plastic filler (or Bog) is designed to stick straight to metal, not paint, I've had a lot of people tell me otherwise. After you finish painting the car spray the insides of every panel (and everywhere else you can get it) with fish oil. This coats the inside of every panel and soaks into the joins where the car is spot welded together and stops water from making it all rust. The deodorised stuff doesn't smell too bad these days, I can't smell it in my wagon at all. Another tip for fish oil, don't spray it in you car while it's parked on concrete you don't want to stain.

Is this the sort of help you were after?
What else do you want to know?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
7thsin

Post by 7thsin »

yea was mate,useful cos i allways miss something or forget this ect lol
i been using fish oil plus tar bitumen ,when mixed proply works great as a
undercoat ,did under all panals so far and wheel wells ,but it is messy shit ,so far finished engine bay ,then moving onto the bonnet then front quarter panels so yea slowly piecing it together ,ill keep you posted
= Lancer 1976 =