What paint type should I use

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
2Lgalant

What paint type should I use

Post by 2Lgalant »

Hey just a quick question respraying the gc in the original limelight green any one recommend what paint to use I have use enamel acrylic and 2 pack before but some say enamel with enamel add in it then some say 2 pack so thought I'd ask and see what you guys say cheers
75wagon
Admin

Re: What paint type should I use

Post by 75wagon »

Pistorf would be your best one for advice on this I think (being a tradesman spray painter).

But here is my views for what they are worth (this is general info for anyone wanting to know the answer to your question) :think:

- 2 pack is meant to be used in a spray booth, there are fines associated with spraying it outside a booth. But that aside it's a very durable finish. I stripped a car in my garage a little while back that had been sprayed in 2 pack, the paint was 9 years old, and had sat on a driveway for 5 years near the beach, yet when I rubbed of the dirt it came up full shine with no fade.
- Enamel with enamel ad, makes spraying enamel more like 2 pack, but it is inferior in my experience. I painted my GB sedan with Dulux Autocolor spraying enamel with enamel ad back in the 90's, the colour faded in a few years.
- Acrylic Lacquer is also an option. It's easy to get a good finish as the shine is achieved by cutting back and buffing the paint to a shine. As long as there is enough paint on there anyone should be able to make it look good if they put enough effort. The downside to acrylic lacquer is it requires to be regularly polished to hold it's shine. Although Pistorf tells me that top end products are fine.

These are the results of what I have seen and done, if anyone has any other opinions feel free to disagree :thumpsup:

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
luke77

Post by luke77 »

2 pack :thumpsup:

Good finish, strong, holds colour etc etc etc
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand, smoke in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -WOO HOO! What a Ride!"
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

two pack, but it can kill you (seriously!!) so if there is no spray booth or air fed respirator its acrylic

enamel with enamel add is also carcenogenic so Id pass on that as well, plus its a poor 3rd to the other 2 (ok for suspension engines etc if you can avoid the fumes)
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Personally I like acrylic, probably in part because I'm not a pro :D
With acrylic you can muck it up and all you do is cut it back and try again (not as easy with the others)
Also, I like the finish that polished acrylic gives - to me it looks more authentic.
Also, as it weathers, it gets this nice patina that says 'Old car, still in good nic due to love rather than $$'.
Depends on what you want ....
Just my 2c.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

So enamel with enamel ad is a no no well 2 pack in a shed with proper protection ok to do or nah
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

You won't get proper protection in a shed with 2 pac. The standard masks you get won't filter out all the chemicals. 2 pac can only be sprayed in a booth with a fresh air system giving you clean air from outside the booth.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Ok then well might have to pay out for panel beater to spray it
A112H

Post by A112H »

You can always save a few $$$'s by doing all the bodywork yourself. Removing dents and rust. Prime all door jams, under bonnet, inside boot lid. Block sand and then wet sand all primed panels. Remove all glass, lights, wiring and chrome.
If you do all this and the paint shop just needs to give it a check sand and blast colour and clear over it you might get it done for $1500-$2000.

While on the subject, I have heard about people using a acrylic colour and blowing a 2pac clear over the top. Is this possable? Wouldn't the two different paints react?
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

See thats it if I do all the work and try and find a back yard panel beater to borrow his booth then it will cost me $400 for paint and primer then the cost to pay the guy but the hard part is finding someone owell I look out around see what I can do Thanks anyway guys much appriciate the help
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

A112H wrote:
While on the subject, I have heard about people using a acrylic colour and blowing a 2pac clear over the top. Is this possable? Wouldn't the two different paints react?
Not a wise practice Jason,as the 2K clear dries hard ,whereas the acrylic moves with temperature variations.This makes for some very nasty shrinkage and cracking.
For the origional poster,I would do it in acrylic,as you can play with it to achieve the desired finish,it is nowhere as harmful to your health,it does last well if looked after,and as dave will tell you,YOU can take the credit for a top job.
With enamel.you don;t really get a second chance,touch ups are a pain in the ass,and the finish is really just average.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Enamel isn't a very durable paint. Same story- did a full respray, got a nice finish but it only lasted a few years before oxidising and turning into crap. As for mixing paint types (acrylic base + 2 pac clear) don't do it. The different paint types can react when spraying (that would be disatrous) and they do shrink at different rates. This is a shot of my wagon during the respray I did in my back yard. I used an american enamel (Nason) in starburst blue.Image
I probably should've added hardener...
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

thats a nice looking car that one :)
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Ta, wished I could've kept it... Please don't ask- the story behind this one is worse than my Lancer getting nailed. :evil: :evil: Sprayed it on the lawn, mid summer. Had a few bugs stuck in it! Considering I used a cheap gun, a small air compressor, was done outside and used enamel it came out well.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

id go 2k bro...good luck! :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310