Pine Resin :(

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
rob020

Pine Resin :(

Post by rob020 »

hey guys..

so my car was parked under a pine tree for a while... i didnt think anything of it at the time, i washed it today and its covered in hardened pine resin or sap or whatever :( soooo.... anyone had any luck removing/dissolving hardened resin or sap from paint and glass?

a quick search says bug and tar remover.. i have some but it didnt work very good on bugs and stuff so i doubt itll be effective but ill give it ago..
another suggestion was kerosene.. i dunno, any takers?

i also have a real old school bottle of "Goof-off" its 95% xylene.. the bottle says "may damage some automotive paints and oxidised metal".. but its also suitable for "fully cured varnished and oil-base painted surfaces, glass, all metals, nylon, vinyl etc" at least ill be able to get the shit off my windows with it..

cheers,
rob

p.s. anyone put xylene in their fuel tank?? lol
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
75wagon
Admin

Re: Pine Resin :(

Post by 75wagon »

rob020 wrote:another suggestion was kerosene.. i dunno, any takers?
You could give it a crack, it wont hurt your paint.
Basically you could try lots of things. Just find a bit of paint in a door jamb (or any other not very noticeable place) to see if it hurts the paint before you try it on the exterior bodywork.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
rob020

Post by rob020 »

cheers, i'll try kero on the paint and xylene on the glass... wish me luck :thumpsup:
its off to my mates later this week for him to put his 9" buffer on her and see how she comes up
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
A112H

Post by A112H »

I would be trying this mate. I know it works on decal glue and doesn't harm paint, it is also the best stuff for removing window tint glue :)
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... escription
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

I realise that this is an old thread,but hot water will soften the pine resin enough to scrape the main part off with an old credit card or similar.
Wax and grease remover (Prepsol etc.)should get the remainder off.
Xylene is a solvent,so stay clear of it.
rob020

Post by rob020 »

cheers, yea the xylene worked beautifully but i only used it on the glass :) ive been to lazy to get it off the body yet so thanks for the suggestion :D