Bringing Galant Back to Life - Bodywork Questions

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
Hotwire

Bringing Galant Back to Life - Bodywork Questions

Post by Hotwire »

Hi All,

Wel as an owner of a GC Sedan some 14 years ago as my Learner then P Plater car, It ended up looking something like this just before I sold it in 1998:

At this time I sold it to my Sisters Mother in Law, who proceeded to drive it for ~8 years, before its sat in retirement for the last 4 or so years. IT now looks like this:

So my question is:

How hard would it be to fix the rear 1/4 and restore it to its former glory?! I can get the car for next to nothing, it still runs (ok) BUT my plans are to slamm it on its bum with some 15x8 +0 minilites as a weekend cruiser.
I spoke to TAFE SA Croydon Campus and I can have it sprayed for a very good price (+ paint), BUT I need to do the prep work. HAving never repaired dented panels before - can anyone help me with an answer - is the car too far gone for rescuing?

Particularly looking your way Jason for someone who can potentially beat/bog/alighn the LR quater on the cheap ;)
75wagon
Admin

Re: Bringing Galant Back to Life - Bodywork Questions

Post by 75wagon »

I know these are only photos, but it doesn't look beyond help. Anything is fixable if you have the time/patience or $$$.
Have you seen some of the resto jobs the guys do in Indonesia? They would love to start with something that good.
Lower front guard rust repair sections are available from Rare Spares. I'd be interested to see what's in the sill under them?
Hotwire wrote:BUT my plans are to slamm it on its bum with some 15x8 +0 minilites as a weekend cruiser.
If that's the case, you may be looking at having to flare the guards a little bit anyway? So the rear left could be fixed at the same time.
Have a look around for doors to see if you can source better ones before trying to repair these ones. Buying a good door would be cheaper then rust repairs.

Do your sums on it before you start.
Price all the parts you want to add to the car (wheels, suspension etc). If the car means that much to you then do it.
It would be awesome to see it when it's done.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Do it, lol. You have been umming and arghing over this resto for 3 years that I know of :P
You will love it in the end and you will get a massive satisfaction driving it knowing all the work you have put into it.
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

OK well i'll be checking out the car in the Metal on saturday, and as long as there is no structural rust, I'll be going ahead and buying it.

SO I'll probably look to source some doors and guards if possible (rather than attempting the rust repair) but what to do with the rear 1/4? Does anyone have any experience with repairing such a section? Can the rear of it be got to to knock it out as best as possible and then final bog to clean it up? Looking for a DIY solution here.

Note that I'm not looking to do a full resto/make a show car here, but just a presentable cruiser. I'm hoping to spend as little as possible on the body by doing 95% of the prep myself (sanding of old coat, rust removal, bog etc) and then just have the guys/gals at Croydon Tafe apply primer/top coats in factory original Fawn colour and keeping the black lower section (as I always thought this set it off nicely)
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Car is farked. Extremely rusty floor pan, I reckon you could almost poke a finger through it. All other panels seem to have some level of rust. Basically would be an ok thrasher or parts car but not for the project I'm looking for :(
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

In the floor? Really?
I haven't seen them go there before. Maybe it used to leak a bit of water?

Will you look for another, or is that it?
That one may do for mechanical spares?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Yeah, the car has been residing in a back yard with grass grown up into the floor for the last 4 years. Add to this it's about 400m from the beach, I think the combo of salt in the air, wet grass = rusty floor. Not to mention the rear 1/4s were completely rusted along the bottom (to the point of holes) around the tail lights was full of rust, all door/bonnet/boot edges were show signs of rust. The best/rarest part of the whole car is the Taco Dash which I installed 14 years ago, apart from that, I dont know what other spares you would want off the car honestly.

As a parts car it could be OK but I dont really have storage for 1 car to work on, let alone keeping a car just for parts. So if anyone else wants to buy the car, you're welcome to it, let me know what you want to offer and i'll pass it on.

Sad end really :(
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Oh,
and the intention is definitely for a Galant to come my way, just probably not for about another year or so. I'm in the process of building a new house and this was more of an oportunity buy. So in about 12 months time I'll probably look to pickup another galant

interestingly, I was told that HH VR4 engines bolt in when you use L300 engine mounts... dont know about the rest of the driveline, BUT that sounds like an interesting thought for the future ;)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

PM sent.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hotwire wrote: So in about 12 months time I'll probably look to pickup another galant
Mine might be done by then, lol