GD front fenders on a GB Galant?

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
Sufferes

GD front fenders on a GB Galant?

Post by Sufferes »

Will it blend? (H)

I was just wondering if anyone knows off the top of their heads if the front fenders off a GD would bolt on easily to my GB, as I saw a GD at U-Pull-It that looked straight enough. It would kill a few birds with one stone, too :P Quick replies would be greatly appreciated, as it's the last Galant left there and I hate seeing good cars get crushed to make way for more Commodores and whatnot.
A112H

Re: GD front fenders on a GB Galant?

Post by A112H »

Not sure is the easy answer, but I think they will fit.
Here are the reasons why;
GD's and GC's have the exact same gaurds
GC wagons are the same as GA and GB wagons with the newer front end
GC and GD hardtops are the exact same car with different tail lights
A57 GTO fronts fit on wagons

I am sure there are many other reasons but as far as I can tell Mitsubishi was very good at covering the same shell in different panels, lol. Like the GE, GH Sigma, Scorpion and L200. Three very different looking cars but all the front panels are interchangable, in fact I am pretty sure they all use the same bonnet. The only difference between a L200 door and a Sigma door is the L200 had a smokers window, still bolts in place.

I have wondered myself if a GTO front would bolt onto my hardtop, I am pretty sure they use the same doors so it should. Wonder if a GTO dash would bolt in, that would look awesome :)

I am guessing you are in the Northern suburbs of Adelaide? Why don't you come to my house and borrow a gaurd to see if it fits?
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

gc gd have a longer engine bay than ga gb, from firewall to rad support panel..... itd give a gb a longer front if they can fit!! good luck :\
hey ?? if guards are good, save em! if you can....someone might need them sooner or later???
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
A112H

Post by A112H »

gc gd have a longer engine bay than ga gb, from firewall to rad support panel
I didn't know that, thanks :)
How does that work for the wagons? I thought they were the same but with different front ends?
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

i dont know with wagons??? ive just come back from wreckers( centre rd in springvale, vic..) they have a gd...i had a quick look...i doubt if i could get them guards on my ga... even gc gd rad support is quite diff to a ga.....gee after seeing a gd engine bay...i wish i was putting my vr4 motor in one of them!! :)
Sufferes

Post by Sufferes »

Oh, by the way, both mine and the one I'm looking at (I'm pretty sure) are both sedans.
Galant_GT0 wrote:I am guessing you are in the Northern suburbs of Adelaide? Why don't you come to my house and borrow a guard to see if it fits?
Yeah, I am. If I could, that'd be great - might save me some time and money messing around in U-pull-it :) When would you be free to do that?
GLANT wrote:itd give a gb a longer front if they can fit!! good luck :\
hey ?? if guards are good, save em! if you can....someone might need them sooner or later???
Hehe, that doesn't sound too bad (if they fit). I was also thinking the same as you, just grabbing them anyway and saving them in case anyone else needs some.
A112H

Post by A112H »

They are off the car so anytime you can pop around and grab them is good by me, I am home all afternoon.
Send me a PM and I will send you my phone number and address.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The front radiator support panel is closer to the motor on a GA/GB then on a GC/GD. I haven't measured it, but it would be at least 70mm closer.
GC/GD's have a radiator spacer to space the radiator back towards the motor.
The main problem you will have is with the bonnet, how would be the bonnet catch? How would it attach?
Then the back profile of the GC/GD bonnet wouldn't match up with the profile of the plenum chamber of the GA/GB.
I think the rear lower dogleg of the GA/GB front guards (where it attaches to the sill) are shorter then GC/GD?

The mudguard side profile will match up though... The GC/GD wagons do use GA/GB door skins.

Hope this helps?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

No
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
A112H

Post by A112H »

^^ I guess thats ya answer :lol:
Sufferes

Post by Sufferes »

So they absolutely won't fit?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well, there's one way to solve it.
I think gaPhil has a GA without front guards, and I have GC/GD front guards here.
So if we can get together I can take some pics for you?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

good luck with that one! at least take some beers to make it worthwhile......
woops

Post by woops »

I just compared some GD guards i have here against the GB and they definitely will not fit. The bolt holes line up and it looks as though it would fit but the door contour but the GD guard is about 15 cm longer and overhangs the front substantially.

GA and GB guards are the same and the GC and GD guards are somewhat compatible. It's possible to make GC indicators fit GD guards with a bit of trimming but the reverse isn't as easy but still possible.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

yep!!! thought so!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I never doubted it not fitting.
I just thought pictures to show exactly how much it misses out by would answer some questions?

I remember think of doing the same thing to my GB (back in 94) when GA/GB front guards were becoming difficult to find.

Dave...
tubby

Post by tubby »

Like I always say, angle grinder and a welder anything can fit. :P
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan