Paint Question

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
davenq

Paint Question

Post by davenq »

O.K.....It has probably been asked a million times before but I have looked and can't find an answer..
..were the G.B.'s painted in Acrylic or enamel?
....the reason I ask is the GBanger project car has erupted in two tiny rust bubbles ........the colour is sunfire yellow (that's the main reason I bought it ) ...and am looking to sort this out .......any help appreciated...
.cheers
.Dave
Growing old is inevitable
Growing up is optional
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Paint Question

Post by astronturbo77 »

umm ill ask my old man, but you can def touch it up with acrylic
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

They are painted in Acrylic. I have 4 tin's in the shed from Berger that was from the Chrysler Tonsley plant.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

pistorf

Post by pistorf »

davenq wrote:O.K.....It has probably been asked a million times before but I have looked and can't find an answer..
..were the G.B.'s painted in Acrylic or enamel?
....the reason I ask is the GBanger project car has erupted in two tiny rust bubbles ........the colour is sunfire yellow (that's the main reason I bought it ) ...and am looking to sort this out .......any help appreciated...
.cheers
.Dave
dave
They were painted in Berger Alkilid Enamel,which in reality is baked enamel.
Touch up with acrylic is the safest way to go.
Rub the repaired area with 600 wet and dry and thoroughly HAND compound the entire panel. Blend the colour by gradually adding more thinners to the colour,then dust a coat of straight thinners over the whole panel t even out any overspray. Compound the blended area carefully.
Alternatively,spray a couple of coats of clear over the whole panel and buff it up.
This is how we did touch ups when the cars were near new,35 years ago.
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

GB_BB4C wrote:They are painted in Acrylic. I have 4 tin's in the shed from Berger that was from the Chrysler Tonsley plant.
the only cars painted in acrylic from the factory were Holdens from HD till VS commodores. The acrylic you have would be touch up paint.