adelaide paint places

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
kenvv

adelaide paint places

Post by kenvv »

im planning to get the galant painted in a few months. dont have the knowhow or facilities to do it myself as much as i would like to try it. i do know a painter but just wondering if anyone knows other decent places that i could trust with my car that wont charge $5000 for it. wont be pulling the engine out for it so just outside and door jams. id prefer a place south of adelaide as i want to be able to drop by and check it out during the job. i keep changing my mind but i know i dont want it to stay red as i not a fan and swore id never own a red car but im thinking black as i love black and ive never seen a black galant or maybe a decent silver, blue, or green. but thats the only colours im thinking about. opinions or suggestions....
vrooooom vrooooom!!
GLANT

Re: adelaide paint places

Post by GLANT »

hey man black looks mad! but after painting a sigma 2k black then a turbo charade...ill never do it again! major pain in arse to keep looking good, aswell as "ageing" all surrounding trims etc on car. just my 2cents :)
go and look at womens nail polishes, it sounds gay... but some really cool colors to wet appetite?? and make cheap samples to take to panel shop :thumpsup:
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

not a bad idea.... what you mean by ageing surrounding trims? you just mean getting the trims in good enough condition to set off the black well enough?

cheers
vrooooom vrooooom!!
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

because black is so shinny, it makes trims, tail lights, rubber moulds/seals etc look old :)
if you desire black mate go for it, but honestly it drove me crazy, its dirty five minutes after you cleaned it...lol! i did nail polish thing...and chose hot pink... :thumpsup: lol!!
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i love old v8's in black but as i cant afford them i want to paint mine black. and as its still an old car i make myself feel better by thinking of it as a mini v8.
alternatively i have seen a heaps nice darkish green on the new ve commodores but just cant imagine how it will look. if i got plain gloss black or black with a little pearl through it hopefully wont be insanely expensive. just want a trust place to take it. ive seen friends cars come back crap from places so you just wasted your money. risky....
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

I agree with GLANT, my VR4 was black and I must have spent like $100 washing and polishing it. It always looked awesome but a massive amount of work, by the time I had finished chamoising the front the back had dust on it :@
Having said that, if black is what you want then keep it Mitsubishi and go for Pyrenees Black. That is what my VR4 is and the same as they used on 200-2004 VRX Magnas. It is a really deep black with green metal flake, looks awesome in the sun. I don't think you can see it in any pics of my VR4, if I find one where you can see it I will post it.
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh thats cool. my mate has a hh vr4. limited edition monte carlo model. only like 500 ever made and 1 of only 4 in oz i think. and now that they cant be imported anymore its super rare. it has a real nice black with flake through it but i think that it would cost a bit to get done
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

My advice on colour choice is this:
- work out the wheels you are going to be running.
- what style you want the finished item
- and as many other things that you have to have on the car and the things that you wont change
- then pic a colour that balances it all in.

That's what i did with my wagon, I was keeping the original interior so the colour had to look like it came with cream/brown interior. I also wanted something that look like it could have rolled off the factory floor in 1975. I had the old school cheviot hustlers and the twin carbs so I decided I wanted to run with the old school look. That's also why I have red seat covers covering the Recaros, not because red seat covers are old school, but Recaro's definitely aren't.
The colour I choose is a Kia colour from 2000. So it's modern, but looks at home on my wagon I think.

Do you know what type of look you are aiming for? If you don't I think it makes it harder...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

thats not a bad way to look at it dave.

well i sold the challangers i had for the car as they stuck to far out the guards for daily driving use. but i like oldschool jap wheels or other types of wheels with dish.
i was trying to track down a set of these but they arent available in aus in that colour and the australian distributor wont reply to me emails. and america wont post them here. so im still on the look out at the moment for something.

i want the end outcome to be oldschool jap style. so want some decent offset and a nice colour. interior i want to retrim the door trims and back seat in black leather/vinyl or something to look nice and clean and have a matching pair of semi race seats for the front. pretty much the whole car is not original so im not to fussed about that side of things. getting a cd player, alarm, and maybe central locking installed. i want the mod cons of a new car in the old shell. i still cant even decide what type of side mirrors i want. i like yours but havent found any in solid metal yet.

these are the other two colours i was pondering over. really like the VE green. looks heaps better in life than in pics i think.

opinions?
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

kenvv wrote:opinions?
Go the VE green. I've been waiting for someone to do it? Would suit the Galant shape (with the coke bottle styling). The pearls in this colour would make the Galant shape look very sexy.

As for rims, have you seen 76galantv6's rims?
15x8's with zero offset.
He has had to had the guards clearanced a bit. I would suggest +10 offset, as that would give you an extra 5mm of play room to the guard.
Here's the link to his members ride post

BTW, I like the rims you had in that pic, bad luck on the availability. If it's just colour, paint them?
Have you looked at the Rota Grids on my hatch? 16x8 +10 offset?
Don't know if you'd be interested in that sort of look, but the size offset is suitable?
page 2 of my members rides post on my Lancer Hatch

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

ive had a look through his ride thread before to sus out how his wheels sat in the guards. i like the rota grids but just dont suit the look i want. ive considered painting those wheels but its a decent extra whack on the total cost to do it. but if i went with the ve green i wouldnt want black rims on that colour anyway. wanted the black rims to suit the black paint. all black bomb. too many decisions when building a car.....
vrooooom vrooooom!!
A112H

Post by A112H »

wanted the black rims to suit the black paint. all black bomb.
Sounds like a 1975 Version of my 2000 Galant :thumpsup:

I like the new dark browny purple of the new Mazda's. I think this colour would suit the Gally well. Both these pics are the same colour, I reckon it is awesome.

kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i can see the purple in the top one. second one not so much. looks ok but i like the commo green still if i dont go black. everyone says black will be too hard to clean so looks like i wont get that because im too lazy to clean the car everyday. once a week is the usual
vrooooom vrooooom!!