GH PWS Window Rust. Help with repair advise

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
Jasinex

GH PWS Window Rust. Help with repair advise

Post by Jasinex »

Hey guys,

The PWS project is coming along slowly. We have just removed all the chrome trims from around the front and rear windows and we have made the following discoveries. The front window has very minor surface rust and has a couple of little holes about the size of a biro which can be repaired easily.

The rear window however has more. Around the top sides of the frame it is good, much the same as the front with only surface and minor rust holes. The problem is the base of the window. The lip with the weather seal is ok and the structural frames are all ok but the rear panel and inside the glass on the parcel shelf has a fair bit as you can see from the pics attached.

So my question is can this be repaired and how would you go about it.... :think: ?????

Im thinkin a donor car? cut out that panel section and weld in and clean it all up?

All opinions are appreciated

Thanks

Jas

GB_BB4C

Re: GH PWS Window Rust. Help with repair advise

Post by GB_BB4C »

Donor car would be the easiest way out. Just finding one might be the problem. Mine have started to rust out near the tail light on both my GH and GK, seem to be a common problem. Thats pretty bad under the back window though. Dirt and stuff just collects under the trim though.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

genius

Post by genius »

Mate, a lot of Mits cars around that time had a treatment called MING RUST PROTECTION. You can find these cars by holes drilled in the scuff area, door wells, hinge areas and a plastic plug inserted. You will find these plugs inserted all over the car, usually about 12'' to 20'' appart. That is the type of donor car your after.

GE, Through to GN cars will set you back peanuts. It's only the Mods we do to them to satisfy our hunger that makes them worth anything to us. The car in the pic here is, im afraid, scrap.
crystalmeths

Post by crystalmeths »

if you can get hold of some good replacement panels its worth repairing it :thumpsup:
Jasinex

Post by Jasinex »

Does anyone have a donor GH sedan. I need to cut some panels out to replace these areas (will pay for parts needed :D ).

I have advertised in the wanted section.

ALL help is greatly appreciated!@!!!

Thanks Jason
7thsin

Post by 7thsin »

gday mate
nasty rust i had simler problem but not as bad ,still working on a way to go about it

= Lancer 1976 =
camB

Post by camB »

Mine was in similar condition once. My parcel shelf - including the folded structural/torsion part - had also been mauled to fit large rear speakers in.
I cut two BIG sections out from the boot lip all the way forward to the rear seat support and folded up some new bits to weld in.
Worked ok, but it's all hidden under parcel shelf trim and stuff. The only part you actually see is the bit below the glass. If you're restoring a PWS you may want to aim for a higher standard than my shitbox. :roll:

Good luck.