GH Bumpers...

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
si81gma

GH Bumpers...

Post by si81gma »

My front and rear bumpers on my GH sedan are straight, but starting to fade and look tired. What options do i have besides paint?
Any help would be appreciated. :)
rob020

Re: GH Bumpers...

Post by rob020 »

take them to an electroplating place and get them rechromed :thumpsup:

cheers,
rob
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

rob020 wrote:electroplating place and get them rechromed
or Nickel plated.

Cheers.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

:hit: :facepalm: :banh:

Did you all forget that a GH Sigma has those black rubber bumpers. Would be funny to see someone try and chrome them. LOL.
woops

Post by woops »

I would personally just go for some black plastic paint. Don't know how'd it go with the UV light. Otherwise try armor all on it, don't know how long that'd go exposed to the elements either.

Maybe a tyre shine might even work but i'd try and do a test first of a dodgy piece or in an area you don't see. A bit hard to do that on the bumpers though.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

My brother used to use a stuff called 'Black Chrome', it's a bit like tyre black for black plastic and vinyl. He used it on the fold back vinyl sunroof he had on his Gemini, it looked like brand new after he did it. I don't know if this product is still available (because it was a few years ago) but go into a parts store and ask what they have, there will be something like it.

Amoral (or how ever you spell it) might work, but I would use kerosene on them first. Kerosene will take all the dirt and bring some colour back into rubber and vinyl, but it takes any protection that was on them off, so you need to Amoral them after wards . Amoral isn't very long lasting, the rain makes pretty short work of it, but if you keep it up it looks good.

I also know blokes who use baby oil to shine their tyres, but when they get wet or it rains they don't look so good. But also worth a try. It lasts longer then Amoral through summer.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
si81gma

Post by si81gma »

Superscan811 wrote:
rob020 wrote:electroplating place and get them rechromed
or Nickel plated.

Cheers.
Yeah they're plastic lol... I have some stuff I bought a while back called "back to black", didn't do much at all. I have a spare bumper, I'll try the kerosene and armor all on that one first. Cheers :thumpsup:

It's possible to remove the plastic bit off the metal isn't it?? I want to put the nicer plastic on the straight bumper i have...
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

:facepalm: Should have looked at your sig...

C_Fernance wrote:Did you all forget that a GH Sigma has those black rubber bumpers
:facepalm: My Bad. I was thinking of GH Scorpions.

Cheers..
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

yep high fill and paint em
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
tango76hardtop

Post by tango76hardtop »

ive used on old plastic bumpers before tyre foam stuff that you spray on tyres to make them look new again, just spray heaps of it on the bumpers then leave on for 24 hours then wipe off the excess
I want to go down on you and make you really happy, then i want to come back up slowly and fuck you real good, yours sincerely Petrol prices.
si81gma

Post by si81gma »

amgis_obrut wrote:yep high fill and paint em
Not keen on painting them. You can replace just the plastic part of the bumper can't you?? I have a straight spare but the plastic's got a scrape on the corner. Is it possile to put my nice plastic on the straight bumper? :think:
rob020

Post by rob020 »

:facepalm: at least ive got an excuse, ive got GE bumpers on my GH
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out