how to remove windscreens

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
shuggy

how to remove windscreens

Post by shuggy »

How do you remove a windscreen from a GC galant without having to cut all the rubber and bend the chrome strips? more importantly, how do you get the chrome back in?????
GB_BB4C

Re: how to remove windscreens

Post by GB_BB4C »

So long as it isn't a laminated window as doing this will just crack it.
Get inside the car, sit on the seat, put one of your feet on the window near the corner and apply some pressure, while doing this gently peel the rubber away from the hoodlining and keep applying pressure. once the corner has given way you will have to keep peeling the rubber away from the hoodlining and the 'A' pillar while still applying more and more pressure. it will get to a point where it will be free enough to get out of the car and be able to remove it by gently pulling it. the rubber should at this point still be attatched to the window and removed as one.

as for the chrome strips i wouldn't have a clue. hope this is of some help.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

shuggy

Post by shuggy »

so scared of smashing it though!
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

so long as it aint laminated they are pretty flexable. just go slowly and gradually apply pressure. not something to be rushed the first time ya do it.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

shuggy

Post by shuggy »

that glue they use is rediculous. and the windscreen in my coupe has a small chip too...
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

You WILL break the windscreen if you dont cut the rubber. go get yourself a lino knife and cut into the rubber as ive just shown on this dodgey paint diagram.[img]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img] might have to zoom in a bit, but this is the only way ive found to remove them without breaking them. cut down where the arrow is and along the glass under the rubber ti meet the other ct, then the glass will just lift out.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

oh yeah thats what im thinkin im gonna have to do, ive done that before. but how does the chrome go back in? and how do you get the chrome out without warping it?
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

you cant put the chrome back in a cut up rubber :\ you can get it out very carfullt with a small flat blade screw driver and a rag
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

astronturbo77 wrote:You WILL break the windscreen if you dont cut the rubber.
I have taken all my windows out of my cars myself (6cars, 12 windows, front and back windows) in the way i have described and have not broken one yet.
NONE of my windows are LAMINATED as you will break them.

tubby

Post by tubby »

windscreens are usually laminated glass, the glue the use is urethane, its a bitch. I wouldn't advise pushing the window out with your foot unless it has a rubber seal, since you said glue I assume not.
I took out the windscreen of my wagon by running a razor blade along the inside of the window, till all the urethane was cut. pics might help.
'81 GJ Scorpion, '87 GN Panel Van, '77 Sigma sedan
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

shuggy wrote:How do you remove a windscreen from a GC galant without having to cut all the rubber and bend the chrome strips? more importantly, how do you get the chrome back in?????
I don't cut the rubber. I don't remove the strip either.
Look on the window to see if it is laminated glass. If it's laminated it says so.

If it doesn't say it is laminated then start in one corner and poke the rubber window seal (from the inside) through to the other side. Do it slowly, bit by bit or you will cut the rubber (or tear it).

If it is laminated, then cut the rubber and buy a new one.
If it is laminated, cut the rubber (as rubbers are cheaper then screens).

GC Galant sedans have a rubber seal. They are reuseable if the screen isn't laminated.

My wagon has a rubber seal, I have had multiple windscreens in and out and used the same rubber. All of my wagon screens are not laminated. It does not have stainless steel strips around the window, it has a chrome plastic bead.

My GD sedan and the GC sedan I just stripped are different. They both had/have laminated screens and also have the stainless steel strips.

Hope this helps? It may be too late for you though?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

why is everyone scared of the lam screen ???

Just remove it like you would a toughened screen
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

amgis_obrut wrote:why is everyone scared of the lam screen ???

Just remove it like you would a toughened screen
I don't know if I'd call it scared?

I tried your advice (although before you gave it). I now have a broken screen instead of a spare.

Like I said above, I've had the screen in and out of my wagon a few times with no problems, and not just the windscreen but all of the windows. That's side and tailgate too, all toughened glass with hard original rubbers, and I reused all of the rubbers when I put them back in too. But the first time I tried with the sedan (laminated screen) it cracked the screen almost instantly, I could not believe how easily it broke. I was being careful. I would not say that I am heavy handed either. Don't forget, we are talking about cars with 30 something year old rubbers in some cases.

Aren't the windscreen seals on Sigma's urethane? Urethane seal screens are easy to remove. And yes I know you have experience with other cars, I want everyone to be on the same page...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
brendon

Post by brendon »

pay a windscreen bloke to do it. if they crack it, it their fault.
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory