dents in gd wagon roof.

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
galantman1976

dents in gd wagon roof.

Post by galantman1976 »

hi all.
i have dents in the roof of my wagon (pics tomorrow).i have a couple of questions

1. is this common for wagons?
2. is the roof lining hard to remove in GD wagons?
3. does anyone have any sugestions on how to remove the dents?

Any and all advice will be really appreciated.

cheers
galantman1976
GD wagon. Just want to clean it up a bit.
S12 gazelle. Drift car. Needs drivetrain then good to go. :-)
A112H

Re: dents in gd wagon roof.

Post by A112H »

What sort of dents mate? I am assuming SA or WA as you called them dents not a made up name of "dints"
As for how hard they are it reallt depends on where and how deep. The roof lining is no big deal to remove and replace, and the dents shouldn't really be an issue depending on the depth.
Pics wil help
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

galantman1976 wrote:1. is this common for wagons?
I've looked at a few wagons and they all seem to have the same problem, the roof panel seems to lose it's rigidity a bit. This is very hard to fix, and I'm not really sure if it can be. Maybe a few extra braces under the roof sheet?
It's a big roof, and I suppose the bigger the roof the more chance of getting a dent.
galantman1976 wrote:2. is the roof lining hard to remove in GD wagons?
The only hard part about removing the headlining is the fact that some of it is held in by fixed window rubbers, ie: Windscreen and rear side glass. If you've got these windows out, then that's fine, but if not makes it harder.
galantman1976 wrote:3. does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the dents?
Dents in the roof are hard to fix as the bigger and flatter the panel the harder it is too return it to that way. But I'll wait for pics on this one to see where they are. I spent a whole week on my roof to get it straight, and I'm still not happy with it.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
pistorf

Post by pistorf »

Find your local paintless dent removal firm and get a price from them. A lot cheaper than a panel shop.
If the sealer between the roof braces and the roof has proken,get some Sikaflex 255 adhesive and run a thick bead between the braces and the roof. This will fix a lot of the floppyness problems.
galantman1976

Post by galantman1976 »

here's a couple of photos of my roof. they aren't real deep but they really shit me. i hate them so much.

cheers
galantman1976
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's better then the roof on mine was.
It's probably like that because someone had roof racks on it at one stage of it's life and they were bad at loading them. :banh:

They are hard to fix for a beginner at body repair. But stick at it and you'll get there or pay a panel shop to fix them. Then don't put roof racks back on it.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
galantman1976

Post by galantman1976 »

roof racks are a no go for me. everything that i put in the galant fits in the boot, if it doesnt i borrow my GF's grandfathers car and trailer. i'll be putting a tow bar back on the wagon soon.

cheers
galantman1976
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

The roof on my wagon did the same thing. It really needs to be heated and shrunk back into shape to fix it properly.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

How floppy is your roof?
Around the dents how solid is it?
Is it is weak and floppy around the dents you will have to do as GB_BB4C has suggested and heat treat the roof panel (heat shrink to regain some panel rigidity). This is something I would suggest should be done by someone who is experienced, if it is done wrong you can warp the whole roof.

Dave...