help with my ge

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
regor

help with my ge

Post by regor »

hey guys and gals and other's

i recently pulled my car out of hidding and fount sh** loads of rust in it..(obviously the shed i was keeping her in wasnt water tight... like i thouhgt it was)..
anyway i want to no where do they normally rust.. i found heaps around the front and rear windscreens..
i had a bit of a look around the car but couldnt see any more...

where else should i have a good look.. should i pull anything off/apart to have a look..
and also does anyone no where i can get some to chop it out and weld metal back in..(no need to bog it or paint i can do that.. i just need it chopped and welded)

thanks for help
regor
-roger-
rides.
green twin charged ge sigma (broken atm but making it better (week end car when runnig)) this is her http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3132262/1
black s13 silvia with rb20det (back up)
black slammed e36 turbo (will be my daily when it running)
blue s13 ls1 turbo (project car / track car)
but i would have to say my fav is my ge
metaldrift

Re: help with my ge

Post by metaldrift »

It does tend to vary where they rust depending on where they been (next to ocean or in outback), where they where kept (garaged or left out in weather), but I had a GH that I got from the coast, it rusted out in the door sills but wasn't noticible till I put it on car hoist and the hoist went through the floor :shock: ! Also prone to rust in usaul places, bottom edges of front guards (check undernieth and by running fingers on inside of wheel well, boot floor sometimes (check by pulling up boot carpet), corners under vents of bit behind bonnet (don't know what you call it, where your wiper's sit on), definitly other places too but you have to remember these cars are getting 30 years old so if they haven't been properly treated they can rust anywhere, don't know if that helps but hope it does lol. Oh and be carefull using bog around the windshield, can be dangerous later on lol.
metaldrift

Post by metaldrift »

Oh and sorry, maybe it's only me but it dosent show where you are, what area you looking for someone to do the welding? Most small bodyshops will do a rough job if you ask em nice enough but someone may know a good one in your area.
camB

Post by camB »

Will have rust at the bottom of the rear of the front quarter panels - the drainage holes soon get clogged if sitting for long periods. Check the C pillar just where the chrome trim/rain gutter ends after coming down off the roof sides - that's another spot (nasty to repair too). If there's rust there then the water gets into the bit of sill between the rear wheel arch and the back door. The bottom of the rear quarters gets rusty, again if the drains for letting water out of the boot are clogged with crap. Those chrome trims around the front and rear screens are a nightmare for rust - you'll end up cutting out vast swathes of screen surround - probably into the corners as well. Umm... where else...? If your rear screen seal was a bit dodgy (or the boot seal I think) then you'll have a rusty parcel shelf too.
I reckon that's probably enough to look out for! :-)

Oh... except for the doors of course. :lol: