Project 71

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
Project71

Project 71

Post by Project71 »

Hi All,

Some of you may have read my thread located here http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2509

As you can read in one of the last post I made I have some rust to cut out and weld in a new section.

I am new to this and unsure of what materials I need in terms of metal thickness and type and would like your help and helpful tips before I do any work, from cutting it out to preparation to the welding.

Also need are the low RH and LH quarters which rare spares have for $65.00 each :| is there another location that offers these bits?

Thanks
75wagon
Admin

Re: Project 71

Post by 75wagon »

Project71 wrote:I am new to this and unsure of what materials I need in terms of metal thickness and type and would like your help and helpful tips before I do any work, from cutting it out to preparation to the welding.
Cut away all affected areas
Match the thickness of the steel to the existing
shape steel to match
Weld in patches
Treat backside of welded area (otherwise it will rust even faster then the original, as the steel will be oxidised from the welding)

Do you have access to welding gear?
Do you have any experience welding?

Old car panels are a good place to learn how. Cut up old damaged panels that are beyond repair and hone your skills on them first.

I don't know of any other places to get rust repair sections that are pre-made.
Hope this helps
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Project71

Post by Project71 »

75wagon wrote:
Project71 wrote:I am new to this and unsure of what materials I need in terms of metal thickness and type and would like your help and helpful tips before I do any work, from cutting it out to preparation to the welding.
Cut away all affected areas
Match the thickness of the steel to the existing
shape steel to match
Weld in patches
Treat backside of welded area (otherwise it will rust even faster then the original, as the steel will be oxidised from the welding)

Do you have access to welding gear?
Do you have any experience welding?

Old car panels are a good place to learn how. Cut up old damaged panels that are beyond repair and hone your skills on them first.

I don't know of any other places to get rust repair sections that are pre-made.
Hope this helps
I have access to a full workshop, with mills, lathes, mig and tig at my work,I have some experience welding but not enough that counts for a job like this, I will find some old panels and get some experience here welding from the workshop guys.

How will i treat the backside of the welded plate? spray up and in?
77lancer

Post by 77lancer »

if you cannot spray the back of the panel after it is welded you can buy zinc rich primer that will not burn if you dont heat it up to much. try a local paint or welding shop if not make the patches and take them to a panel shop.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Anything you can't get to to paint use FISH OIL.....
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers