Auto barn paint mixing

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
1978sigma

Auto barn paint mixing

Post by 1978sigma »

if you need to do some touch up work and can not afford to get it done auto barn does some allright mixing of paint in to arosole can 300ml for $30 dollars

looks a hell of a lot better than primer

cheers 1978sigma
75wagon
Admin

Re: Auto barn paint mixing

Post by 75wagon »

If you've got access to a spray gun real paint is cheaper. And most auto paint shops can colour match the colour just about perfect.
If you're planning on respraying your car then you have to remove aerosol paint as it will fry up and lift.
So if you want your car painted properly then buy the real stuff, but if it's just a shitter and you don't care then aerosol is fine.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Quite partial to the aerosol cans myself. Did both front guards and rear quarters and it looks smick. Just needs time patience......
Will be attempting the bonnet soon :D
And yeah, primer tends to attract all sorts of unwanted attention ...
Didnt know aerosol can paint has to come if you want a shop-job done - but cant see that happening anytime soon anyways :)
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Didnt know aerosol can paint has to come if you want a shop-job done - but cant see that happening anytime soon anyways :)
T.
yeah the thinners lifts it.
Same as if you use spraying enamel, you can't use lacquaer based acrylic or 2-pak over it.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
1978sigma

Post by 1978sigma »

i only had to paint a little bit at the bottom of the front qauter panels (rust) it was not like i was painting my whole car 4 what i paid i am very pleased and going over in clear and will be good enough 4 me!

i thought it was all right have a look!
http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac16 ... GP0779.jpg

cheers 1978sigma
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

1978sigma wrote:i only had to paint a little bit at the bottom of the front qauter panels (rust) it was not like i was painting my whole car 4 what i paid i am very pleased and going over in clear and will be good enough 4 me!

i thought it was all right have a look!
http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac16 ... GP0779.jpg

cheers 1978sigma
Looks like you made a good repair. If you haven't already treat the inside of the guard too, so it doesn't come back..

If you don't have access to a spray gun then that is certainly the best option.
I suppose the message here is don't spray your car with aerosol if you are planning on respraying it properly later on (unless your stripping it back to bare metal of course). It just ends up making more work.
1978sigma

Post by 1978sigma »

thanks mate yer took me ages to get it smoth and the right shape (first time i did any panel work) was very pleased with my self. yer treated the in side hopfully it will last another 31 years

cheers 1978sigma
leoca

Post by leoca »

I know almost nothing about spray painting , but my experiences with Autobarn are all good...although they are all separately owned and you will find one shop sells stuff quite a bit cheaper than another so shop between suburbs...
I was recently there for colourmixing for the LC Spitfire orange .(pressure pak)Took them ages to find it.There were 2 systems, and when they finally found it it was way dark...more like a brown and he had to mix by the petrol filler cap in the end.v. close to the colour.
There was enough for the various bits under the bonnet and the rocker cover.About 1/3 remaining.

They advise you to go over it in clear.Helps protect it ...but I've found it can still chip off edges.They had gloss black on special also (premixed K&H brand)was only $12.95.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

You only need clear on metallic colours....

Think about this:
Metallics have metal flakes in them. If you cut them back with sandpaper (wet & dry) you expose the metal more so the colour lightens, and it's difficult to get the colour even. When you go back through different layers you get what they call Haloing. You see rings of different colour where you've broken through to the layer underneath.
Solid colours are the same every layer.

Point.
When your paint gets old (as it will) and fades, you can cut the paint back and re-polish to renew the shine.
If your paint is a solid colour you, can cut it back to unfaded colour. If it has clear on it you can't.

Does this make sense?
leoca

Post by leoca »

So the clear is more recommended to keep it fading in the first place?.or more to give it a brighter shine?....
Yeah I remember the clear is totally gone off my metallic silver lancer and I went to polish it and not only did it not get shinier ,it got worse!.
Bits of metallic came off with the T-cut.

I wouldnt mind doing a few panels on my starion ,do you reckon i could get a half decent job with a couple of autobarn pressure paks?.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

leoca wrote:So the clear is more recommended to keep it fading in the first place?.or more to give it a brighter shine?....
It's to protect metallics. It won't shine anymore or less then solid colours...
leoca wrote:Yeah I remember the clear is totally gone off my metallic silver lancer and I went to polish it and not only did it not get shinier ,it got worse!.
That's because you were cutting into the colour coat as the clear was no longer there to protect it.
leoca wrote:I wouldnt mind doing a few panels on my starion ,do you reckon i could get a half decent job with a couple of autobarn pressure paks?.

That depends on what you call half decent? And depend son what other options you have. If you have no access to proper spray gear then the answer would be yes. But if you do have access to spray gear then the answer would be no.
Aerosol Spray paint are inferior quality. They will break down easier and faster then proper automotive paint. But If that's the only option you have then use it. It's better then nothing.

If you have a few old cars (as it sounds like you do) invest in some spray gear. Doesn't have to be top of the line or anything. It will pay for itself. I bought mine when I was 19. I'm now 37 and still using it. You can use a compressor for lots of things (rattle guns, air ratchets, sand blasting, pumping up your tyres and more). This is a smart purchase for any long term car enthusiast. It doesn't take long to teach yourself to spray. All you need is time, patience and an attention to detail.
leoca

Post by leoca »

75wagon wrote:
leoca wrote:So the clear is more recommended to keep it fading in the first place?.or more to give it a brighter shine?....
It's to protect metallics. It won't shine anymore or less then solid colours...
leoca wrote:Yeah I remember the clear is totally gone off my metallic silver lancer and I went to polish it and not only did it not get shinier ,it got worse!.
That's because you were cutting into the colour coat as the clear was no longer there to protect it.
leoca wrote:I wouldnt mind doing a few panels on my starion ,do you reckon i could get a half decent job with a couple of autobarn pressure paks?.

That depends on what you call half decent? And depend son what other options you have. If you have no access to proper spray gear then the answer would be yes. But if you do have access to spray gear then the answer would be no.
Aerosol Spray paint are inferior quality. They will break down easier and faster then proper automotive paint. But If that's the only option you have then use it. It's better then nothing.

If you have a few old cars (as it sounds like you do) invest in some spray gear. Doesn't have to be top of the line or anything. It will pay for itself. I bought mine when I was 19. I'm now 37 and still using it. You can use a compressor for lots of things (rattle guns, air ratchets, sand blasting, pumping up your tyres and more). This is a smart purchase for any long term car enthusiast. It doesn't take long to teach yourself to spray. All you need is time, patience and an attention to detail.
Thanks mate ..yeah I will look into the local council by laws for spraypaint usage !.Hopefully it'll be OK
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The laws in NSW are no spraying 2 pak outside a spray booth. If you get caught it's $10000 fine.

Acrylic Lacquer is ok.
and you are allowed to paint you own car but not run a repair business from your house.

Only you can answer this on though. What are your neighbours like? And how do you get on with them?
leoca

Post by leoca »

Will enquire.
Yeah we are new here.We have met ,get on fine .
They both own dogs, no like, so maybe its time for some payback!!! :D
Boom21

Post by Boom21 »

Sound so super keep it up