rust fix

This section is for talk about anything to do with body repair and presentation.
shuggy

rust fix

Post by shuggy »

i need a simple easy long lasting rust hole fix for the boot sump just behind the rear LH wheel... i was thinkin of stuffing with chicken mesh and using some sort of bog or compositte but need it to be 'pit worthy' so thoight id grab some advice...
brendon

Re: rust fix

Post by brendon »

Only way to truly fix rust is cut it out and weld in new metal.
Not simple but long lasting..
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

if your doing a roughy get some fibreglass reinforced filler or gorrilla hair as some people call it, it will fill a decent sized hole but its nasty to sand down so dont overfill it much or youll be sanding for days.that said if you want it to last you need to plate it. but that stuff will get you out off trouble
gb galant efi 2.6 track toy
gj sedan hack car
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

OK, now you know how to do it properly, and not so well, - here's the easy way. :)
Clean the outside and inside surfaces, then gently knock the edges of the hole in - just a little bit. Get some packing tape and stick it on the inside surface - covering the hole. Bog up the outside. When its dry sand it back and take the tape off the inside. Paint the visible bog on the inside the same colour as the paint around it. Prime and paint the outside. Just to be sure, put a tool wrap in there to cover the inside surface when you go to the rego place. I'm told this works :mrgreen:
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

haha alrite guys thanks alot, i think i might do the fibreglass on the inside reinforced with chicken wire, and then plastic builders bog the outside and sand that down. coz bog will be easier to sand and fibreglass will be strong azzz bruuuu.
if i just primed it would i get thru rego? or would i have to hide it?
what im gettin at is bog legal or is only way to truly get thru pits is weld it up?
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

brendon wrote:Only way to truly fix rust is cut it out and weld in new metal.
Not simple but long lasting..
+1

Anything else is just dodgy.
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh just coz i wana do it myself and i dont hav a welder or any tools.
when i get money id redo it i just wana get over pits...
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Yep, Ive heard of folk who do a dodgy job, get past rego and then drive to somewhere to get the job done properly - saves the cost of a tow :) . Youll have task around where you are about what sorts of things that will pass rego. In NSW rust holes=FAIL. Rust in structural members too (If you have this weld it!). There are plenty of cars getting around with grey primer on them, but for the price of a can of aerosol colour matched paint, I reckon why attract attention to the job? Ive heard that some rego places are easier to get through than others and it may be the same where you are. If youre meeting them for the first time you might consider having something obvious for them to find - like one of the rear number plate lights doesnt work. Ive never had anyone go over my cars with a magnet at rego time - err, not that I need to worry :roll:
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh yeh sounds good.
i found some of that heavy duty security fly screen, the stainless stuff, just gona stick that on the inside n use builders plastic bog on it, should work a treat.
cheers guys
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

use that security screen that you cant break through... that would be epic i rekon lol.
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

yeh man thats the shit i found, but its alluminium so hell easy to mould :)
only problem steel + alli = electroysis badly so have to coat it and glue it, it i weld it rust will be worse than before..
rx22nv

Post by rx22nv »

Why not use the automotive filler? But yeah, fibreglass and then plastic filler on top. Treat the edges of the metal with a rust converter or etch primer. It will slow down the rust coming back. I guess if there's no metal, then there will be no rust! :lol:
GD Galant Wagon 2.6 T04E powerglide - 10.51@124,
GD Galant Sedan Starion powered
COBWBS

Post by COBWBS »

i once had a mini that was SOO full of rust it could have passed as a pice of rust! LOL

WE bogged it up with chicken wire and 5 Kg of bog sanded it back
sprayed it after school ( year 10 ) and sold it for 3 G..

Man the guy who brought that thought he was getting the best deal on earther..

If it eva got sand blasted he would see the all the gutters in the roof we made from Venation Blinds found in hand garbage.

Man for the pits Bog the hell outta it!!!

When u get some cash buy a body with no rust. As my old man once said u can fix a motor real easy.. But u can't fix a body over nite!!
Formerly known as QIKSIG
2.6 Turbo 72 GA Galant on straight LPG
77 Lancer