starion front struts

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
orangelancer

starion front struts

Post by orangelancer »

hey all sgers. ive got a quick question. ive done a search and couldn't find any info on this but would it be possible to fit starion struts under an lc lancer. the reason i ask is because id rather have the vented discs as opposed to solid. i know itd be way over kill for now but i plan on doing an engine conversion next year and could probably use the extra breaking power now. any who so if anyone has done this or has any advice on what i need please let us know.

thanks in advance
alex
Cottees
Admin

Re: starion front struts

Post by Cottees »

It wouldn't be bolt in, and length might be an issue, but could be possible. You'd have to change the strut tops, and use the steering knuckle from a Starion which is 2 bolt, not the Lancer one which is 3. The Starion brakes should give better braking over stock, but about the same as brakes off of a GH or later Sigma. The Starion brakes would disapate heat quicker if you were pushing them hard though.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Vented discs won't give you any additional "braking power" over solid ones - the thing that matters is pad area (and compound).

As Cottees says, vented discs are just to dissipate heat better ... but in a light car like a Lancer that's unlikely to be an issue unless it's on the track ?
Last edited by davetrees on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

well there seems to be alot of after market performance parts available for the starion hence what i meant by more breaking power. so its possible but would need a bit of work. i might just stick with green struts then from a scorpion.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

orangelancer wrote:well there seems to be alot of after market performance parts available for the starion hence what i meant by more breaking power. so its possible but would need a bit of work. i might just stick with green struts then from a scorpion.
try to find good pads for a starion - its not as easy as you think I used Potterfeild pads from the states as there are very few options here

the sigma however use the same pad as a commodore there are are lot more good pads around for the old sigma caliper for this reason
cheater
A112H

Post by A112H »

cheaterparts wrote:
the sigma however use the same pad as a commodore there are are lot more good pads around for the old sigma caliper for this reason
I was not aware of this cheater, which model Commodore mate?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Only going from memory here but i think the part number is DB1085.......the suit the all models upto the VS from memory
Built with pride, Driven in anger
A112H

Post by A112H »

Scorpma82 wrote:Only going from memory here but i think the part number is DB1085.......the suit the all models upto the VS from memory
Yep, from VB to VS Commodore, Lexan, Ute and Statesman but also UC Torana, Sigma GH-GN. Massive range and starting from about $30. Can't go wrong
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

yeah i got the partnumber on all the reapair kits for these old classics...all stored away
Built with pride, Driven in anger
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Did you guys get the AE86 Corollas? They share the same design as the Starions and there is more aftermarket out there for those cars in terms of front brakes. I'm actually considering swapping over the front hubs and struts to Corolla bits for aftermarket reasons and staying 5 lug in the rear lol. :P At least for the Corollas, places like TechnoToy make big brake kits and adjustable Coilovers for them.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

This link might help with the ae86 gear http://www.club-k.co.nz/Forums/viewthread.php?tid=18325

Cheers Mic